Porkchop

Spares done direct?

time for me to ask a question. after seeing a nice post on the BGE forum concerning direct rib cooks, i'm finally moved to adding this technique to my repetoire.

i am by nature a lazy cook. i guess that's why the ceramics appeal to me so much. i've always done ribs indirect, no flip, no baste, no foil. i won't use foil on the ribs, as that seems anti-bbq; steaming/braising ribs.

so, them that do direct; do you turn ribs? how often? how bout basting? anything i don't know to ask that you'd like to share?

fyi, the post on the BGE forum is http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/messages/289800.shtml

I do direct ribs mostly (when I am not having to cook on my pimped out smokey joe - hehe). I like to flip mine so I get the same crispness on both sides. I also like to use the standard vinegar, pepper and loads of salt mop (and sometimes some cayanne), but always quit 30 minutes or more before the end. Usually only flip a couple times and mop only during a flip. Before I got rid of my old grill, I had started doing somewhat higher temp cooks than where I started with ceramics. I know I mentioned before, but I like the texture more so of pit cooking and direct with slightly higher temps seems to give me similar results. So somewhere in the 235-240 range was what I used. It is still a very tender rib, but not falling apart and turning to mush. Still grabs onto the bone a little too.

-=Jasen=-

Seems the times I have done baby back slabs direct they turned out like the National Lampoon Christmas turkey or worse - would not have even given them to my dogs. But with experience and lower temperatures and especially if you were using spare ribs which have much more fat than back, I suppose it becomes a matter of presonal preference, I'm not a fan of crispy for ribs and think you really need a butt to get the good bark. But that's just me. Don't mop and don't flip, usually I'm too lazy to pull off the membrane. I do always do the cheap yellow mustard rub down before. Maybe a little carmelization from Williams-Sonoma Cider/Honey BBQ Sauce towards the end of the cook, but I mostly a sauce on the side type.

I would tend to agree on the foil prohibition, and only use it when I'm trying to slow the cooking down or have to cater them somewhere that involves delay from time the come off the grill until they are actually served. Here in the Midwest there is a contingent that thinks ribs have to be cooked in one of the big ole white roasting pans til they fall off the bone. Not me, I agree that they should not be mushy and never go near a roasting pan.