waldo

Gas Burner

Re: Gas Burner

As always, start with a full basket of charcoal. As Syzygies suggest, the easiest way I've found to light the charcoal is to use a weed burner. Essentially it's a propane torch that you can point downwards, although you should use propylene as it burns hotter. I got mine at Home Hardware but I think you can also get it at Home Depot. Especially at this time of year you may need to get your local store to order it in for you.

Weed Burner ==> http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... ernzomatic

Propylene cylinder ==> http://homehardware.ca/en/rec/index.htm ... =propylene.

If you're coming down to the Toronto area let me know and I can give you a demonstration.

Or just use a charcoal chimney, you'll get a raging fire in under 10 minutes. Cheap, easy and fast. Torches, however, are WAY more fun! Put the potatoes on well ahead of supper time, and bake them just like in the oven, 350 to 400 is fine. When they are done, cook the steaks. Baked potatoes can take an hour or two. Steaks just take a few minutes, or 20 to 30 if you do it like I do.

you guys are a tough crowd! thanks for the tip on the propylene gas. I have a weed burner (purchased for weeds) which I plan on using to light the lump (minion method?) but thought that was for long and slow burns. for hot and fast (2 hours for example for potatoes - I thought I would use a smaller amount of lump and start it all at once - like a charcoal chimney starter but thought the chimney would be awkward emptying into the kk with hot coals - I guess not?

I would like to cook the potatoes on the top (or middle?) grid but the steak on the lower grid. just wondering how I could do that or if that would be ideal for those two foods.

Don't use a weed burner for a low and slow! That will light too much charcoal, you just want a little bit lit for a low and slow. For a low and slow I use a MAPP or propane torch to just get a little bit of lump going. For a bigger hotter fire use a half chimney full of lump. Just put your chimney in the KK, either on the charcoal basket handle or right on your full basket of lump, as it is getting going. Then dump it out on top of your basket full of lump.

Cook the potatoes on any level you want, indirect. When they are done take out the heat deflector and cook the steaks on your preferred level. If you want them burnt on the outside and raw on the inside cook them down low. For more even doneness cook them up high.

I do steaks and baked potatoes all the time. You can find plenty of pics in the everyday cooking pics thread.

While you can do your potatoes on any level, I do mine direct, just naked potatoes rubbed with olive oil, and dusted with course salt. They take about an hour at about 400, and I flip them after about 30-40 mins. The direct heat gives a slightly roasted skin - not charred - just roasted and crispy.

I prefer to use the lower grate for steaks and potatoes, rather than trying to move hot grates around to use the sear grill. Its only a couple of inches higher than the sear grill, and its bigger/more stable. Those few inches make a difference when its time to sear the steaks, as on the sear grill I cant get the internal temps I am looking for without going beyond a "crust" and into a "burnt" taste. YMMV...try it a few ways and see what works best for you. It is one of the easiest - and most relaxing - cooks around, so it will be hard to really ruin your meal. Enjoy a glass of wine or two as you smell the fire roasting the potatoes.

that sounds great. I think that will be my first meal - easy - hard to ruin. I have little experience with cooking with charcoal - always had a gas bbq - except in the college days with chicken wings on a hibachi grill. looking forward to the journey of discovery with the kk. do you ever use the very bottom grill?

do you ever use the very bottom grill?

Never as a sear grill down on the basket handles That same piece of hardware flips over, and doubles as a upper grate. I use it like that all the time.

The difference between the lower grate, and the sear grate down on the basket handles is about 3", so to me it is just easier to use the lower grate, and that way I can tuck the potatoes into the back corners as its time to open the bottom slide to unleash the fire and sear the steaks. The sear grill doesn't sit tightly against the grill so it moves around a few inches when its down on the basket handles.

Oh Firemonkey you are so right. It's so sweet to sit out there sipping a beverage' date=' getting whiffs of the cook, while dusk approaches, on a mild evening...[/quote'] Indeed...that is probably why God made Hammocks, too. I have a couple of round posts (like what you build docks from) strategically placed near my patio I use a big live oak tree to attach one end of a hammock, then I can choose the pole off more to the South (sunny) side of the tree for this time of year, or pivot about 120 degrees to the other pole and be under the shady side of the tree for summer. The sunny pole doubles as a grate hanger, too n67082 (old picture, before I upgraded that plastic bag that came with the KK to JB covers :D)

post-6451-139082398679_thumb.jpg