TheNakedWhiz

Cheese

My KK is probably the best looking and most expensive cheese smoker I've used so far:

kkcheese.jpg

It was 61 degrees out, so I put a tray of ice on the lower grid. I had about 5 briquettes burning in a little foil pan on the bottom of the cooker and 3-4 slices of coffee wood for smoke. The inside of the cooker started out at about 75 degrees, but the temp dropped to about 63 degrees over the hour. We'll see what it tastes like in the morning.

n67083 n67084 n67085

Re: Cheese

Seeing your post reminded me that I never followed up and posted pics from my first cheese smoke over the holidays. I smoked Cheddar, Jarlsberg, and a wedge of Romano. The three photos are at the start, 1 hr, and 2 hr point ... unfortunately, in inverse order (still learning the new way to add photos). I used two 2" chunks of the new KK CoCo and smoked with cherry wood. It was hard keeping the temp low so maybe next time I'll try the chunk 'O ice trick. I've had smoked Cheddar and Swiss (Jarlsberg is a swiss-style) but thought trying the Romano could be interesting. The Romano came out with a subtle smoke flavor that did not penetrate the wedge very far, probably due to it's high density. It was not at all bad but perhaps a bit too subtle for my palette. The Cheddar and Jarlsberg were fantastic and did not last long.

post-6893-139082398755_thumb.jpg

post-6893-139082398793_thumb.jpg

post-6893-139082398834_thumb.jpg

Re: Cheese

Whiz, did you pre-burn the coffee wood from Dennis?

I have tried the coffee wood from Dennis on a a few meals, and the initial smoke is WAY harsh. Luckily Dennis had posted that you needed to burn it down, or I may have ruined a meal. But, I have to admit that once you get past the initial acrid smoke, it is very mellow - almost like apple wood with a little different "nose" to it. It should be great on cheese!

I was so intrigued with the coffee smoke, that as an afterthought I burned a couple of pieces in my firepit to add to another meal. This wood is good stuff, but you need to practice with it. You cant just toss it in like you might with some other wood types.