bsskate

Soon to be a new KK owner... YAY!!!

Hello all,

Just wanted to say hello and that I am very excited to join such a great community of grilling and food enthusiasts. I just recently placed an order with Dennis for a New Blue (previously known as Dark Cyan) 23" KK. I cannot wait to start the grilling and I think it should be here in time for spring in MI. If anyone has any tips, tricks or comments (obviously I have already been scouring this forum for info...) about my new adventure, I am all ears.

My biggest concern is the delivery... I live in a condo that is up a flight of stairs to my main level and deck. Ugh!!! I better have some beer and friends to help it reach it's destination.

Happy Grilling

Re: Soon to be a new KK owner... YAY!!!

Hello all,

My biggest concern is the delivery... I live in a condo that is up a flight of stairs to my main level and deck. Ugh!!! I better have some beer and friends to help it reach it's destination.

Happy Grilling

Welcome. But you're going to need more than a few beers to get a 23" KK up a flight of stairs. You must post pictures :)

A KK does come apart into two pieces. The top isn't actually that heavy, and several people can manage the bottom. Of course, if a crane can reach your deck from outside, that would be easiest. No idea how much cranes cost, but piano movers aren't as much as one might think.

Definitely more than a few beers. I will post pics. I am hoping that because my porch is up that flight of stairs also, that the delivery people will get it to that point for me. I am fully anticipating that I have to get it up the stairs, but it would be great if they get it to the delivery destination, which is the porch.

The deck is accessible from the outside around the back. Thanks for the suggestion of the crane. I will check into that option.

Hello and welcome to the "club". Hope you plan on staying in your condo for quite a while so you dont have to move the KK again!!! The tip I first give is to fill your charcoal basket, I did not on my first cook and I ran out of fuel! If you do long slow cooks, pork butt etc, planning is also good. You need to heat soak the KK for a while before you start cooking, makes it much easier to control the temperature. Anyway you will enjoy the journey because no matter if you mess it up a bit, the food usually ends up better than you expected!

I will also look into a sign company for moving my new KK. I really am hoping that a friend/or two and I can get it up the stairs if it isn't delivered to the porch. I am planning on disassembling it and taking it up the stairs in 2 pieces. It looks like it may be a manageable weight that way. I have a feeling that the weight is only one of the issues when transporting the KK, the other is how awkward is it going to be to carry. I guess I'm in for and adventure. Wish me luck!!!

Hi and welcome! Yes I want to hear ALL about your adventure getting that KK upstairs. We are building a room on to the house and luckily my builder was here when mine was delivered. He BUILT A RAMP just to get mine off the crating! Yes, it IS THAT heavy. But it is built that way to survive the Mayan New Year, nuclear attack, direct bomb hit, biological attack etc.

Steve