mrnitpicky

Anyone ever heard of this before?

Re: Anyone ever heard of this before?

There is really no need for a gadget like that with a KK.

The KK provides such good even heat distribution, botoms, sides, top, there is no need for something like that.

The rotisserie Dennis has fitted to the KK provides self-basting and all arond browning, where the gadget in the video is just a set of shelves rotating.

my 2 cents.

While cool' date=' this approach misses the "self basting" aspect of traditional rotisserie cooking.[/quote']

This is not a rotisserie. This is a smoker add-on. If you watch some of the BBQ shows, a lot of folks have this kind of "ferris wheel" setup. I don't think self-basting is a consideration.

grant

I think if you had a non-uniform temperature as in a metal grill it might be worthwhile.

The KK requires......nothing.

I did ribs this weekend, indirect. Never even turned them once.

Let's think about this. The device simply moves the meat around inside the cooker. The only benefit this might add is if the inside of the cooker has hotter and cooler spots. In this way one piece of meat won't be sitting in a cooler spot and another in a hotter spot. If the inside of the cooker has a uniform distribution of temperature, there is no real benefit to this movement. They use similar devices in really large smokers, and undoubtedly there is a need for this since there will certainly be non uniform temps in those big metal boxes. The smaller the cooker, the more uniform we might expect the temp to be. But maybe even a small metal cooker there is enough temperature variation that this might be useful. The KK is probably far more uniform in it's temperature distribution than a metal box. We do know the inside of the KK is not 100% even in it's heat distribution, but it's probably even enough for our purposes. In particular when set up indirect. Cooking direct is another matter altogether. It's definitely hotter down low by the fire. We know how to deal with that.

But I can attest to the fact that one can never have enough gadgets and toys!

I actually think that this could serve purpose in a KK. We have all had to shuffle items around on grates at some point, either because a fire burned off towards the back more than the front, or we needed to use more than one grate. I could absolutely see using it with a few racks of ribs, and a tray or two of ABTs.

But, I think the video is a bit over reaching when they talk about steaks and burgers bursting into grease fires and such.

So yeah, If I had one of these it would definitely see some use on larger cooks.