gvv

Joining the Happy line

Oh Yes, the wait is over! All true what is written about this machine, all true what is written about Dennis and his company. What a piece of art & what a service. If every company would operate like this one, the business world would be a better world! Dennis, if you ever go public, I want shares! Operating the Komodo is a learning curve (this forum certainly helps) but what a joy to cook on. All my 'Weber' friends are jealous & surfing this website, hopefully leading to some sales. Again thanks to dennis and all of you for the great info. Gert fetch?id=68438fetch?id=68439fetch?id=68441fetch?id=68440

Re: Joining the Happy line

Another club member. Looks like a great little spot of the earth you've got there also, Gert. What are those trees in the background of that first photo.

Also, what's that temperature probe you're using? I see you've not got it through the probe hole: just through the lid gasket - that worked fine?

Mine arrived by courier yesterday: can't wait to give it a go, and don't know if I can get it through the probe hole yet.

The tree in the center is a Norfolk Island Pine; behind that you can see the trunks of a couple of palm trees. The one on the left edge looks like an African Sumac, but its hard to tell for sure in the picture.

The Redi-Check probe will probably not last long pinching in the lid repeatedly. I have a couple of those thermometers, and the probes come with a 90 degree bend in them. You have to straighten the bend out some to get them to fit through the hole. The original poster may not have done that, or never noticed the probe port under their side table in their excitement to get cooking.

The tree in the center is a Norfolk Island Pine; behind that you can see the trunks of a couple of palm trees. The one on the left edge looks like an African Sumac, but its hard to tell for sure in the picture.

The Redi-Check probe will probably not last long pinching in the lid repeatedly. I have a couple of those thermometers, and the probes come with a 90 degree bend in them. You have to straighten the bend out some to get them to fit through the hole. The original poster may not have done that, or never noticed the probe port under their side table in their excitement to get cooking.

Ah, yes I was wondering if putting under the lid like that would damage the probe. The one I've bought also has the 90 degree bend so I shall straighten that out (though I'm also thinking if I just pull the rubber probe hole plug out I may be able to just fit the rubber plug around it, then simply carefully feed probe through the probe hole in the KK without bending ... no idea yet until I give it a go, but, work beforehand ...

Absolutely pull out the rubber stopper, there should be a hole in the center to thread your probe through, though I usually don't bother with that. The probe port doesnt allow enough air to matter the few times I am using a probe, and I am too lazy to deal with sliding it on and off each time.

You will still need to straighten the bend a little to get it to fit easily. Not all the way, just straighten it by 15 degrees or so.

Absolutely pull out the rubber stopper, there should be a hole in the center to thread your probe through, though I usually don't bother with that. The probe port doesnt allow enough air to matter the few times I am using a probe, and I am too lazy to deal with sliding it on and off each time.

You will still need to straighten the bend a little to get it to fit easily. Not all the way, just straighten it by 15 degrees or so.

Cheers Firemonkey ... do you need to put the probe in hot water to bend, or, just bend slowly and carefully?

Thanks fire monkey as I didn't know the tree myself. The temperature probe I use is 'Redi Chek Remote' I just have the wire under the lit, as far as I can see no problems. Works like a charm and remote is really handy. I bought in Bed Bath & Beyond for app. 40 $ (US)

The purpose of the temperature probe hole is to protect your temperature probe wire from damage. Other ceramic cookers don't have this feature. Slightly bending the probe does not damage it. Shutting the lid down on the wire probably will damage it over time. And using the hole is a "cleaner" install of your thermometer, from a design/engineering standpoint. But you don't have to use it...

You can cut the plug halfway from the outside to the hole with a razor, this lets you open the plug and slip the cables in without the hassle of threading it all the way..

Best to slowly bend the probe using the rounded edge of a table.. try to make many very small bends over the entire bend rather than one larger correction.. This will reduce the risk of it kinking..

;);)