MadMedik

Paella on the KK (NakedWhiz version)

Hello. I finally did the Paella cook on my KK. I basically followed the instructions of NakedWhiz for making Seafood Paella. Quick summary: it tasted AWESOME! However, i did have quite a few variations from what NakedWhiz posts on his website. Here are my thoughts and observations: RECIPE: as you can see, i loaded this up with lots of seafood and linquica. I used 2 fillets (talapia) fish, 15 large shrimp, 12 scallops, 4 squid (they are gross to handle), and about 20 "mini linguica" that were size of my pinkie finger...i quartered the linquica. Some might say this was too much 'meat', but my guests disagreed. It was ALL gone quickly. I did precook all the fish per Naked Whiz recommendation...added the last 20 minutes or so to 'reheat' I used Red Bell pepper and Green Beans to garnish a bit. Peppers are really good like this... here is link to Naked Whiz Paella Help: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/paella/paella.htm The pictures below show LOTS of meat, so not "picture perfect', but oh my, it was tasty. This served 5 adults and we all had plenty to eat...but there was none left. A six person probably could have had enough...we all sort of pigged out. The Paella pan is 13.5" pan....sticker on it said 4 to 6 people...Got it a Sur La Tab. They have several sizes... I lit the fire with Chimney Basket fire starter ....first time i have done this, as i usually use weed burner. This basket lit completely in about 10 minutes, 3 pieces of paper....very easy to do and would recommend this method for all lights. My biggest issue and concern with the whole cooking event is the heat of the KK and the Paella Pan itself. I saute'd all the fish in the paella pan, but just having the lid open and the bottom vent closed, which is what the Whiz site said to do (i think), I could not generate enough heat to adequately/quickly saute' the fish. It just was not hot enough. So I opened vent completely and pulled the whole front tray out just slightly to allow air flow around the tray. This got things going nicely, and actually got it VERY hot. I had to adjust the vent, tray, and close the lid at times to keep the fire hot, but not too hot....I would close the lid and open the top vent too and it would reach 550 degrees... I did not want this too hot so would then close up the bottom vents a bit.... Anyway, it was back and forth with vents, open/closed lid, and messing with temp in general. I was concerned i would run out of Lump coals due to fact i was keeping the heat pretty high so i actually dumped some more coals in , twice, during the cooking process. By the time the rice was added and I just wanted it to cook at 350 until done...I could not get the temp back down as KK was very much heat soaked. I completely shut down the airflow and could not get below about 420 degrees. My goal, per Whiz, was to baked it at 350. I added the seafood/meat when there was just a little liquid left. I removed the pan from KK actually, cause it was quite hot, and added all the meat. The meat was room temp when put in the pan. However, i put the Pan back into KK for about 20 minutes longer..maybe 30...and the meat/fish warmed up nicely...was actually hot when served. Over all the cook was good and interesting. Fire regulation for saute'ing and browning the onion/tomato base was the most difficult, but i managed. I can see doing this on the stove, or unit with more precise temperature control would be easier. By the way, the rice did not burn, and was just starting to "stick to pan" , which i believe is desired, when i took it off. My guests commented on how they liked the "crusty/hardend" parts of rice. Just the bottom got like this. I will try again at some point. It was fun,different, and shows how the KK can be used many ways. Thanks for checking this out. Sorry for the long post. fetch?id=68448fetch?id=68449fetch?id=68450

• Like 1

Re: Paella on the KK (NakedWhiz version)

Never a need to apologize for a long post. Thank you for taking the time to share.

Looks like a fun cook. just like the road of life it had it's speed bumps and pot holes but all seemed to turn out great.

I also covet the chunks of semi burned rice on the sides and bottom.. This usually happens all around the upper edges. I'm happy only eating this.

Great post thanks again..

;);)

• Like 1

Great looking cook.

I spent a few years in Spain (Irun). First thing I learned was that paella is Spanish stew. You use what you have. I was in a fishing village so you can guess what we had. You have the seafood part down (the hard part) now just concentrate on the socarrat rice texture.

Pull it just a little later next time. After a couple of cooks you will have found the socarrat (rice crust)timing and nail the magic moment of paella cooking.

Madmedik:

Your paella looks wonderful!! I like to use more "toppings" than they traditionally use in Spain as well since that is how my family likes it. After having the same problem you did at the main level for a lot of the cook, I now set up the KK to use two levels when I do paella - the sear grill on the tall handles for sauteing the meats, sofrito, initial toasting of the rice and final toasting of the rice for the soccarat and then the main level for actually baking the rice at about 350. I might have to still do a little temperature control but much less than trying to cook the whole thing on the main level.

Thanks for replys. Dennis , this picture of Paella looks very nice...

I can see the Paella pan is being used on the sear grill level, and not the main level that i did my Paella on.

For those interested in the Paella cook, i would recommend trying to do the cook on the sear level as shown here. Loquitur and I had some discussions about heat temperature and regulation of the heat, and i have come to agree with Loquitur that using the lower grills (sear level) might indeed be easier when cooking on KK. I had a lot of challenge in trying to keep the right temp during the cook...and i am going to use the Searing level next time. I do think it will be easier to maintain desired temps. give it a try fellow KK'ers, it is fun and very tasty!

MadMedik

Yes, I agree.. and I would pull the pan completely forward so as much of the hot air was passing the rear of the cooker/pan not up front of the grill in your face.. you could even make a simple tin foin heat shield up front to keep things cooler while you are working..