Loquitur

Small Slow Cooked Standing Rib Roast

fetch?id=68460fetch?id=68459fetch?id=68458 I did a 2.85 lb two bone standing rib roast on the KK on Saturday, 225 Stoker, indirect, for the first hour and then bumped it up to 250 until it was at 115 deg - approximately another hour. I let the roast rest while I brought the KK up 500 deg and then seared it on the sear grill on the low handles close to the coals for 1 min for each of three sides and then 2 min on the top fat cap. The temp of the roast came up to 138 deg with the carryover cooking which was much more than I expected. I actually was afraid I had ruined it but it was OK and cooked evenly from edge to edge. But what I think this cooking method sacrifices is the crispy, flavorful crust that forms on beef roasted at a higher temperature. It kind of reminded me of eating a roasted chicken with flabby skin. The quick sear at the end made the roast look spectacular but it wasn't enough to create the crust that my family prefers. I also think you have to be quite experienced with this technique to accurately judge the final temp of the meat after subjecting it to high temps at the end of the cook. Here are some pics. This was my first atempt of a slow cooked roast beef and my first attempt at a reverse sear.

Re: Small Slow Cooked Standing Rib Roast

I cooked two of them yesterday at about 375 start to finish, indirect. They had a decent crisp on them. Also cooked two legs of lamb with one of Alton Brown's marinades, those got rave reviews from people who never eat lamb. I bought bone in and then boned them out, slathered on the marinade, rolled them up and tied with string. Yummy.

Susan, to get that crispiness of the fat after initially roasting at low temperature try this:

Pull the roast at 105. Tent the roast with foil but do not seal (you don't want it to steam). While the roast is resting, bring the KK up to the 500- 550 range. Place the roast back in the KK either on the main grill or in the dome, still using indirect heat, and finish the exterior at this high roasting heat. Your rib roast still looks wonderful!

Peter

Thanks, Peter, for the advice. I would have preferred it 10 deg less done. What I liked best about it

was that it was extremely tender. I made a salad today for lunch from leftovers and the tenderness

was evident even in a cold state. If I can get a crispy exterior, I'd be delighted.

Doc - quit teasing us!! Where are the pics???

Peter: The other thing that I forgot to mention about this cook was how juicy the roast was. As you can see from the picture, the drippings were virtualy non existent - all the flavor and juices stayed inside. I hope I'm not coming across as overly negative about this cook. I just didn't expect certain results and am a harsh critic when it comes to my endeavors hoping it will make me perform better. I do admit it makes my husband crazy!!

A few months back I had done a 2 bone Prime Rib on the KK. I had put it in a roasting pan with onions and potatoes, hoping to infuse some flavor of vegetables during the cook. When I was done, the meat was cooked, but did not have the dark bark/texture of nice seared meat. It was sort of anemic looking. Taste was okay, but i missed the seared/slightly charred look and taste.

Next time I did the same size 2 bone Prime Rib on the Rotissere. I put the heat at about 300 degrees (EDIT: on direct heat, no deflector stone) and cooked to desired internal temp...about 134 degrees. The Rotisserie method was Wonderful. I got the dark / seared texture all the way around. It was still very moist and very tasty. In my mind, this is how I will do future Prime Rib roasts, particularly the smaller roasts. If get too big for the rotisserie, i will NOT use the roasting pan like i did the first time. I would probably do pit temp around 280 to 300 and divide the cooking time with bone side down and meat side down.

Just a thought... Prime Rib on the rotisserie !!!!

I will assume the rotisserie cook was direct. That's the actual difference, in that the roasting pan cook was actually a kind of indirect cook. My guess is it would have come out about the same without the rotisserie if just cooked direct, and flipped once. But I like the idea of the rotisserie method and will sure try it.The idea of not having one side, and then the other, facing the fire the whole time sounds good.

fetch?id=67200fetch?id=67201fetch?id=67202fetch?id=67203fetch?id=67204 Re: Small Slow Cooked Standing Rib Roast

well I didn't cook it too slow, but did use the roti and indirect. 3 rib roast, grass fed (with pepper salt paprika worchestire sauce powder porcini powder onion and garlic powder for a rub/crust). Applewood smoke. I overcooked her a little but it was still really good!

post-7115-13908240067_thumb.jpg

post-7115-13908240069_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082400708_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082400728_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082400747_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Peter, for the advice. I would have preferred it 10 deg less done. What I liked best about it

was that it was extremely tender. I made a salad today for lunch from leftovers and the tenderness

was evident even in a cold state. If I can get a crispy exterior, I'd be delighted.

Doc - quit teasing us!! Where are the pics???

After the roast rest 15-20 min I super cool it. (Bag it and drop in cold water) Then do the 500 plus.

Works for me... but i do admit I didn't get it right the first time around.

fetch?id=67205

What's the "1989" at the top of the label indicate?
Now I truly feel stupid. I swear I pulled a 95. I just pulled it out of the trash and it was a 1989. Go figure. When I opened it I thought the cork looked old. It also explains why it was so awesome. 95 was great but 89 was textbook. I guess I have too much wine.... In my defense I was juggling the whole meal when I grabbed it. (and taking pics) My wife is now laughing at me :shock::?:D

post-7115-139082400765_thumb.jpg

well I didn't cook it too slow' date=' but did use the roti and [b']indirect. 3 rib roast, grass fed (with pepper salt paprika worchestire sauce powder porcini powder onion and garlic powder for a rub/crust). Applewood smoke.

What temp did you cook it at and approx how long? That crust looks outstanding!!!

I was in a bit of a hurry... I warmed it to room temp for 2 hours when I put the rub on. I lit the fire and put the roast on when the smoke was good at about 275 dome temp. I let it come up to 375-400 for another hour or so, and then when the meat was about 100 degrees I let it go up to 475ish in the dome. I pulled it at 127...perhaps a few degrees to high for my taste.

The crust and roast were phenomenal

Thanks for your interest

I was in a bit of a hurry... I warmed it to room temp for 2 hours when I put the rub on. I lit the fire and put the roast on when the smoke was good at about 275 dome temp. I let it come up to 375-400 for another hour or so, and then when the meat was about 100 degrees I let it go up to 475ish in the dome. I pulled it at 127...perhaps a few degrees to high for my taste.

The crust and roast was phenomenal

Do you have to stop the roti to check the temperature of the roast? How often did you do it? Was the roast still in the KK while the temp was rising to 475? Did you start with a target period of time to cook the roast? Sorry for all the questions but I definitely want to try your technique with my next one. I have the roti with both size baskets but haven't used it yet.

Susan

Maverick makes a roti thermometer but it won't work on our system, it works on those rotating spit types with a big extension outside the grill. I can imagine a remote thermometer designed to work inside a closed KK would be a serious engineering challenge.

What he said....

I checked it about an hour into the cook just to get a feel. I used the 12 minutes per pound as a rule of thumb, and left it in there while it was raised to 475. This only takes a few minutes with the doors open front and back!