Firemonkey

Dry aging beef - by the numbers

Since my last post about dry aging beef, I have done 2 other strip loin slabs, without pictures or paying attention to weights. This time, I decided to try and figure out exactly how much of my initial purchase I was losing in the process. So here is what I found with this batch: Starting weight: 13.53 Lbs fetch?id=68482 The end cuts of this slab were not straight, and I have found that while trimming the ends, you will lose any of the pieces that stuck out beyond the lowest point. Thus, I decided to lightly trim the slab in order to have as much of an even surface as possible on the ends. I figured that this would help reduce waste and make it easier to trim. I just shaved the trimmings as thin as possible, and they made a great cheese-steak sub for my teenager. Trim before dry aging: 10.1 oz fetch?id=68483 This slab went into the fridge for 17 days. When I pulled it out, I found that since it has been MUCH hotter here in FL lately, and the fridge I use for aging is in my garage, I had more of a hard skin than I had on previous slabs. I think this is due to the fridge having to run more, and the increased airflow drying the surface more. Trim: 2 LB 3.5 OZ fetch?id=68484 Now, I was fairly aggressive with the trimming, rather than trying to surgically remove only what was necessary. I opted for speed, since it was dinner time and I wanted to eat some of these :D I also removed more of the exterior fat than most may, as my wife wont eat it (and wants it removed before cooking) and I probably shouldnt be eating it. But I did leave a fair amount on there. What I ended up with are some mighty fine steaks, weighing in at 8 Lbs 1 Oz. fetch?id=68485 There was some question about the thickness of the steaks last time I posted a similar picture, so I included a cork from my dinner beverage for scale. So the numbers are in: (Pounds - ounces) start: 13 - 8 Total of all meat (pre aged trim included): 10 - 14.6 Loss to moisture: 2 - 9.4 Trim loss: 2 - 3.5 Total loss 4 - 12.9 $6.39/LB = roughly $30.35 in loss Final price for Strip steaks, dry aged at home: Roughly $10/lb. (it works out to $9.88 if I include the initial trimming as dry aged meat, $10.80 if I consider it a loss) So there it is...yes, there is significant loss in the aging process. But $10 is still a bunch less than the $20-$25/LB price from whole foods, which is the only place I know of that sells dry aged steaks, and its a 40 minute drive to get there. I will certainly keep dry aging here, and besides, there it makes me smile when I open my fridge and see something like this in there: fetch?id=68486