Loquitur

Hot Smoked Swordfish

I have a 4.5 lb swordfish loin/roast/hunk that I want to hot smoke tomorrow.It is currently in a brine until the AM when I will remove it to place it in the frig to develop the pellicle. My plan is to smoke it at roughly 230 deg, indirect, with cherry and apple chunks. I plan on cooking it to 135 deg. to obtain a 140-145 temp after resting. My question is - how long, approx, should I plan for this cook? I will be internally monitoring the temp as I go but am looking for a general idea of the time so I can appropriately plan for my guests. I'm thinking maybe 2 hours? Any insight or advice is greatly appreciated.

Susan

fetch?id=67287fetch?id=67288 Re: Hot Smoked Swordfish

It took three hours to 135. I did the first 45 min at 200 Stoker because I forgot to take it out of the frig and was concerned the Stoker would run hot next to the large, cold piece of fish. Then I bumped it up to 225 and never opened the lid for the duration of the cook. I kept it on the rack I used for drying it so I wouldn't have any issues with it sticking to the grate. It came out fantastic with a truly melt in your mouth texture. I had a salmoroglio sauce with olive oil, lemon, herbs and garlic which was wonderful against the smoky flavor from the apple and cherry chunks. Interestingly enough, I was unable to slice it for serving though I gave it a good long rest and tried various serrated and non serrated sharp knives. But it was very easy to pull large chunks off the roast with a fork. We enjoyed it immensely and it was a really fun cook. I would definitely do it again even with swordfish steaks instead of a roast. I have 1/4 of it leftover and am dreaming about the Russ and Daughters type spread I will make with it tomorrow. Here it is:

post-6735-13908240237_thumb.jpg

post-6735-139082402379_thumb.jpg