Loquitur

Stoker with Smartphone

Hi!

What do I have to do to be able to check my Stoker stats from my smartphone? When I was smoking my swordfish roast yesterday, my guests arrived before it was finished. We were sitting on the patio very near the KK but I didn't want to open the lid and wanted to unobtrusively check the temps with my phone so I typed in the 192.....address but it wouldn't open the page. I have 5 computers in my house and they all will open the page if I type in that address. I know I could probably check this manually from the buttons on the face of the Stoker but I didn't know exactly how to do it and decided it was easier to just go into the house and check it on one of my computers. I looked in my phone settings for a mac address or something to tell my router to accept it but couldn't find it though I found various other similar settings. I apologize for the simplicity of this post and am sure you can tell I am not very computer savvy.

Re: Stoker with Smartphone

Hey loquitor, i have a basic answer for you but don't know how to fix it for you. I too have the setup for stoker at my home. The IP address for your computers in your house are likely different than your phone. My understanding is that "from within your own home" the IP address for all your computers is different than when you are on your phones data plan (3g or 4g). Your phone needs to connect to an IP address, but when your phones 3g or 4g is on it cannot connect to the same internal IP address at your house which all your computers connect to. Basically, when i am at home in my wifi I have one IP address, and when I am at work or on my iPhone, I have yet another IP address to connect to. It may be possible for you to Turn off your data/cell connection on your phone...put it in Airplane Mode....and then use wifi only on your smart phone, and then try to connect to the IP address all your computers are using. This may work...not sure. I am not good with wifi and IP addresses...that is why I had to pay someone to come set mine up. I have book marked two Stoker IP addresses on my iPhone....one for when i am out and about and then another for when i am home. Usually, I will just use my iPad or computer when I am home with wifi...and not even mess with my phone. What you want to do is totally possible, but some one smarter than I will need to instruct you how to set it up....sorry...

oh, yeah, there is an App in the App Store....called StokeMaster I believe...that can be used on your iPhone as well. It is usuable on 3g and wifi. Here is address of website....not App Store.

http://www.ncgrimbo.com/StokeMaster/

I think it was 5 dollars....can't remember for sure though. You may want to try this. I have not used this in awhile. I wish i could tell you more about it. I generally use the iPad or laptop, as the screens are bigger and nicer to look at. If you can wait a day or two, I will get my stoker out and turn it on....then use this App and see if it will connect like my computer and iPad on the Wifi....

Routers can be finicky...last time i tried my stoker, non of my connections worked....not wifi, not cellular , nothing.... after lots of frustration, I finally turned off the router, or 'power cycled' it, and when it came back on, the connections all worked. This is not your primary problem but i tell you this so that if you get it all figured out and then suddenly nothing works....turn the router off, back on, then give it a try.

One other thing. Your IP address may change every once in awhile...depends on type of internet connection you have...I am told residential IP address can change every few months...maybe 1 or 2 times a year...???... anyway, if your IP address changes, then all your computers may quit working on the Stoker. You can check your ip address by going to Google, or whatever search engine you want, type in "what is my IP address" and hit return, and it should tell you exactly what your IP address is. If your computers quit working, try this and see if the "new IP address shown" is the same as what your were using. If it is NOT , enter the new address in your computers and it should work...

Mad Medik:

Thanks for your thoughtful reply. Having some knowledge of the basic operations is very helpful. I did try to turn the wireless on to get it to connect but I didn't put it in airplane mode. I will give your suggestions a try and if I can't get it going, I will have my tech for my office computers in my home set me up next time he is here - which I hope is NOT too soon.

I just put mi iPhone in airplane mode, turned on wifi, and connected to my stoker. I can also connect to stoker on iPad with the wifi. So this should work for you. Down side is if some calls you.. For the heck of it, I turned phone on and it still connects.. So don't know what to tell you. Is it connecting with wifi or cellular? Let me turn off wifi ....ok it will not connect via cellular only. I tried the wifi IP Address and the 2nd cellular IP address I thought should work. So that is bad or I am ignorant. Oh well....

The readers digest version is that your router is assigning private addresses to your devices inside the network. Theser are usually something like 192.168.xxx.xxx These addresses work when youre connected inside - like on your wifi connection via the phone. The outside address is assigned by your ISP, and is what you will want to use on any other connection (3G/ any other wifi / etc).

Most routers help secure the oblivious by not bridging the two networks. As

Larry said, you can always setup a connection between your stoker and your outside connection to the router. Various router manufacturers call it different things - port forwarding, dmz

The readers digest version is that your router is assigning private addresses to your devices inside the network. These are usually something like 192.168.xxx.xxx These addresses work when youre connected inside - like on your wifi connection via the phone. The outside address is assigned by your ISP, and is what you will want to use on any other connection (3G/ any other wifi / etc).

Most routers help secure the oblivious by not bridging the two networks. As Larry said, you can always setup a connection between your stoker and your outside connection to the router. Various router manufacturers call it different things - port forwarding, dmz, etc. It is very easy to configure once you understand what you're doing. If this is all new to you, help should be easy to find and it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do.

A couple of things to also consider when setting up the router; you will probably want to make sure your stoker gets a reserved address, so it's the same every time you turn it on. Otherwise it may be getting different addresses assigned for each session, and thus your port forwarding would be looking for the wrong address. Also, your ISP assigned address likely changes frequently. It's how ISPs try to keep you from running servers without paying extra for a higher class of service. Since its a pain to always be aware or what your outside (ISP assigned) ip address is, you might want to set up an account at a service like dyn.com. It's a free service that lets you pick an account name, and it will automatically update so that name always points to your router. For example, Susan's-stoker.dyndns.org would be your address, and it would always go to your router. Then, behind the scenes your router will connect to your stoker, so that in essence would be your stokers web address. Some router software has this feature built in, making it set it and forget it simple to have a outside accessible address.

Again, all of this is simple enough to set up. 20-30 mins for all of it, but you'll probably want to seek some help and avoid the confusion if you've never done it before.

Your router re assigns addresses in a given time. If you use your device in that given time, the adress is the same, if not, it changes. My router was set for one day. Its was pretty easy to just change that time, in my case, I changed it to 99 days, basically making it permanent.

If not, when you turn your device on, there should be a page that displays the current web address, or possibly the router will display it.

Thanks, guys, for all the great info. I got crazy this week because I have to unexpectedly go out of town tomorrow for a few days and I didn't have a chance to get back to setting up the Stoker to see if I could get it to work with my phone. But I did some preliminary work in checking out how to port forward on a Linksys router on Youtube and think maybe I can do some of this stuff you are recommending when I have more time. And, I know how the Stoker address is constantly being changed. The first thing I do when I use it is check the address manually on the unit. Just want you to know how grateful I am for all the help!!!

Susan