cpwebb

Crispy Skin

I've been cooking a couple of chickens every other weekend for a while and they always come out moist and very tasty. The problem is the skin is never very crispy. I have just read on here about putting them in the fridge for a few hours to help crisp up the skin but is there anything else I can try? I don't want to just hit the bird with a torch to get it crispy. I appreciate any input offered. I will be trying to air them out in the fridge next time to see if it helps.

Re: Crispy Skin

I have to admit that I'm hit or miss when it comes to crispy skin on whole birds. My best results are when I brush them with olive oil, spatchcocked with skin side down (unless on the upright stand), and be patient (this is the part that I have the most trouble with!) Don't worry, with the KK, you won't dry out the meat cooking it long enough to get the skin crispy.

When doing thighs only, I let them cook until almost done at like 375F, then do like a reverse sear on a steak and crank up the temps to about 450F, skin side down to do a final crisp on the skin.

I couldn't get crispy skin on a chicken in the KK until I started putting it in the frig, uncovered, the night before cooking and then cooking it direct, high in the dome, at a temp over 400 deg. Then I don't open the lid until I'm ready to take it off and it comes out perfect for me this way. I don't think a couple of hours in the frig is enough to help much. If you do it overnight, you will definitely see a difference in the texture of the skin while its still raw. It looks weird but it comes out great. I have also heard of people putting a very light dusting of cornstarch on the skin before cooking but I have not tried that.

Nice idea, it reminds me of letting salmon develop a "pelicure" in the fridge after brining.

I've tried the hairdryer approach with mixed success (it helps e.g. deep-fried Thai duck), I'll have to try this. We prefer our chicken at 500 F for half an hour, direct main grill over well-developed coals, after a light brine.