SizzledLizard

wood as fuel

Hi. I don't see much talk of using mostly wood in the kk's. I'm using a mix of Dennis' coconut, and wood. I have been increasing the amount of wood I use, and it's up to about 50/50 now. I'm thinking of going up to 75, and maybe even 100% wood. Aside from heavy smoking at first (20-30 minutes?), I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with this, as far as how it may adversely affect my cooker. What do you all think? Anyone use 100% wood? Why do most people use charcoal instead of wood?

Re: wood as fuel

Here is what Dennis has had to say on the subject:

Absolutely.. If you're cookin' with wood you're actually cookin' with gas.

In the note accompanying your owner's manual I wrote clearly in caps PLEASE NEVER BURN WOOD IN YOUR COOKER.

Methanol, also known as methyl alcohol, wood alcohol, wood naphtha or wood spirits is the gas inside wood. And when burned with a less than optimal air to fuel ratio you end up with lots of unburned fuel vapor which plain and simply tastes acrid and nasty.. Burning wood also creates creosote which again is just nasty stuff.. That's why I always let the first thick nasty smoke off smoking wood escape before I put my meat in. Creosote will also condense inside your dome and in your chimney.. Not a good thing. That first smoke is also so acrid it burns your eyes.. once the smoke becomes a bit transparent and bluish it no longer burns them..

;);)

Mike, would you mind linking, or directing me, to the thread where this discussion happened? I looked around a bit before I posted this. From my experience so far, the wood burning has been successful and delicious, so long as I let it burn down for a while. I noticed also that I get less cook time out of it, but there is still plenty left after a low and slow cook. The wood idea just got me thinking...I have a good variety of woods stockpiled from when I used to cook with the metal pits, and you see alot of people cooking with wood in competitions, backyards, and in the larger metal pits...so, I thought, why is it that such isn't the case with the kk group in this forum.

Many years ago I cooked with wood (like 7 out of 7 days; it was my plan it fact) and it was mouth watering. Destroyed the KK's damper top and Dennis sent me a new one!!! And, without me even asking. That was amazing. :) I don't dare cook with wood again, but if it was safe to do so, then yes I've got tons of wood that I'd love to put to use.

Thanks again, Dennis. :) I think even with permission, I'd be afraid to cook with wood again since I want my KK in the best possible shape. Now wood as decoration on the KK---yes, I'd like to see that option offered to new and old customers.

Your KK is not designed to burn wood with the lid open.. the wood gas/flame will super heat the lip and acrylic grout.. Not a good thing for either.

When wood is heated the first organic materials that turn to gas are creosote, acid and tar.. If this gas is mixed with air it burns in a clean flame.. this won't occur if the lid is closed.. it will turn into very dense, sticky, very bitter smoke.

This material will condense on the inside of your grill.. and give off nasty flavours every time it is heated and turns to vapor again.. Please trust me, you want to off gas any wood before you put it in your grill.. That goes for your smoking wood also.. The reason so many rubs and sauces are super sweet is to balance this bitterness from the primary grey smoke.. If it burns your eyes and makes you smell like an ashtray.. you don't want to eat it.

;);)