EGGARY

Burgundy Mushrooms

I am making these today for the first time and the house smells wonderful and yes it does take 9 hours to make these mushrooms.

Burgundy Mushrooms

2011 Ree Drummond, All Rights Reserved

Prep Time:15 minInactive Prep Time: -- Cook Time:9 hr 0 min

Level:

Easy

Serves:

8 to 10 servings

Ingredients

4 pounds white button mushrooms

1 litre Burgundy wine (other dry red wines will work)

2 cups boiling water

1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter

1 1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce

1 teaspoon dill seed

1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

4 beef bouillon cubes

4 chicken bouillon cubes

4 cloves garlic, peeled

Salt

Crusty bread, for serving

Directions

Thoroughly wash the mushrooms and throw them into a large stockpot. Add the wine, boiling water, butter, Worcestershire sauce, dill seed, black pepper, beef and chicken bouillon cubes and garlic. Stir to combine.

Bring the mixture to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 6 hours.

Remove the lid, and then continue cooking, uncovered, for 3 hours.

Add salt to taste at the end of the cooking process. The mushrooms will be very dark in color. Serve straight from the pot or spoon the mushrooms and cooking liquid into a serving bowl. Have crusty bread nearby to soak up the deliciousness.

Cook's Note: These are even more scrumptious the next day!

Re: Burgundy Mushrooms

They were very good. Nine hours ? I made the mistake of only making 3 pounds of mushrooms as they cook down alot.

These would be good with Prime Rib using the sauce over the meat. It's nice to see someone else who goes on the BGE Forum. Are you talking about GREENEGGERS.COM ? That is the Forum I go on as well.

They were very good. Nine hours ? I made the mistake of only making 3 pounds of mushrooms as they cook down alot.

These would be good with Prime Rib using the sauce over the meat. It's nice to see someone else who goes on the BGE Forum. Are you talking about GREENEGGERS.COM ? That is the Forum I go on as well.

I got a lot of good use out of them but wouldn't make them again. I prefer a traditional duxelle reduced twice with red wine which takes a fraction of the time it takes to make those mushrooms. When I made them, the 1/2 lb butter in the recipe wasn't integrating with the sauce and just floating on top no matter how much I tried to stir it in so after 8 hours of cooking, I removed the mushrooms, put the liquid thru a fat separator cup and then put the mushrooms back on in the sauce without the butter for the final hour. But I saved the butter and used it sauteing various things over the holiday which was very flavorful. I sliced some of the mushrooms and used them as a layer in my Christmas Wellingtons, which was fine. And the rest of it, including all the sauce, I used for a big pot of beef, barley and mushroom soup, which also used up a chuck roast lanquishing in my freezer. The soup was excellent. I just didn't like the mushrooms much on their own. I felt they were too intense, like a sauce which has been reduced too far and needs to be reconstituted. Then again, I may have caused that by removing the butter. Also, I used a 25 year old cream colored Chantal stock pot for the recipe, which was in perfect condition, and this cook seriously stained the interior and I don't know whether I will ever get it out. I never considered that the wine would do that. I totally agree that the cook made my house smell wonderful all day long and I'm honestly glad I tried it.

I check out both greeneggers.com and the official BGE forum a couple of times a week. I don't post but there are always lots of new pictures from the members, which I totally enjoy, and I do find some good recipes, ceramic grill tips and general cooking ideas from time to time.

Would you be willing share the soup recipe?

Sure. I made the burgundy mushrooms as stated in the recipe above with the exception of removing the butter after 8 hours, substituting thyme for the dill and using 6 bouillon cubes instead of 8 without any additional salt or pepper. I had 3/4 of the recipe leftover for the soup.

I cut a 2.5 lb chuck roast into 3/4" cubes and browned them in two batches in a large Dutch oven in olive oil and some reserved mushroom butter and then set the beef aside. Then I sauteed 3 diced carrots, 1 diced parsnip, 2 chopped onions, 4 sliced stalks of celery and 1 chopped jalapeno pepper with ribs and seeds in the same Dutch oven in two batches in the beef drippings and more mushroom butter. Then I put all the beef and veg back into the Dutch oven and added the mushrooms, which I sliced super chunky, with all the gravy and 3 quarts of water. I simmered it for a few hours, uncovered, and then added a heaping half cup of barley. Once the barley was tender, I adjusted the seasoning a little to taste and it was done. It makes a big pot and the longer its in the frig the better it gets. It reminded me of a cross between a beef bourguignon and vegetable beef soup.

The burgundy mushroom recipe is on the foodnetwork.com site and is rated 4 stars out of 5 with 59 reviews but the reviews are almost all for 5 stars with just a couple rating it 1 star, one of the 1 star complaints being the "butter slick". If you are home all day its not that troublesome and if you aren't crazy about them on their own, I'm sure you'll love the soup!!