Rojack

Marinating

When you marinate something do you put it right on the grill after or rinse it or wipe it off first? The reason I ask is because I see you are supposed to add sauce at the end of the cook for a short time so it won!t burn and I have seen comments that things with sugar in them will burn if cooked too long. It seems if you marinate something a lot of what you use has sugar in it so if you put it on the grill with it still on will it burn?

It depends...

there are certain marinades you should leave on. i would say, most of the time, you don't want to rinse.

generally speaking, when i marinate meat, the cut is very lean, and a component of my marinade will be oil. many think that a marinade is needed to tenderize tougher meats and incorporate acids and enzymes (like papain) to accomplish such.

if a marinade has a lot of sugar, but is very watery, i don't think you run the risk of burning sugars like you would with a thick "bbq" sauce. some consider brines as a marinade; i rinse after brining, but because of the salt, not burning sugar.

i am not a pro when it comes to wet marinade. i use two basic approaches; italian dressing (rarely) or a home-made teriyaki that is basically onion, garlic, soy sauce, red wine vinegar, and toasted sesame oil. not much sugar there in either case. fwiw.

I marinated some salmon before smoking it this weekend. Hardest part of smoking the fish is rolling it in the little papers... no no no.

The marinade was a mix of kosher salt, sugar, spices. Recipe said to rinse thoroughly. It was still quite salty. I think more of a brine than a true marinade. Rinsing was the right thing. Don't want to leave brine on.

The ribs I did had relatively little salt in the marinade, and no rinsing at all. Asian style, hoisin and some soy, sherry, ginger, garlic. Nothing there to burn, and no real heavy salt to spoil the taste. They were delicious, but a baste of a sauce at the end of the cook would have been good. More to get that rib stickyness that's so delicious.