Loquitur

Carryover Cooking

I did a 2 bone rib roast for NY Day and it, by far, was the best one I've ever done. It was very crispy on the outside with a well done area around the fatty rim to almost the same degree of doneness in the center as the one recently posted by my hero of rib roasts, MK1 , just very slightly less rare. I wasn't going to post about this because I did it in my oven but I closely monitored the temps of this cook and was so enlightened by the results that I thought it was worthy of a post. Unfortunately, I don't tolerate the cold and darkness and ice nearly as well as my KK so it hibernates for the winter.

I decided to try the "turn the oven off" method which is to multiply the weight of the roast by 5 and roast at 500 deg for that period of time and then turn the oven off for two hours without opening the door. I read lots and lots of posts online that said this was a failproof method of producing a perfect rare to medium rare roast of any size. My roast was 4.31 lbs so I roasted it at 500 deg for 22 minutes and then turned the oven off anticipating that the roast would be in the oven for 2 hours. I was monitoring the internal temps with my Thermoworks Chef Alarm thermometer (which I love) so I'm confident in the readings, which were as follows:

49 deg going into oven

56 deg after 22 min

Oven is now turned off. Times below are the time elapsed into the 2 hour oven off period:

79 deg 30 min in

111 deg 1 hour in

121 deg 1 hour 15 min in - YIKES - I opened the door and took the roast out and put it on the counter lightly covered with foil

126 deg 1 hour 25 min in - took the foil off!!

128 deg 1 hour 30 min in

131 deg 1 hour 45 min in

129 deg 2 hours in

I stopped monitoring after I saw the temp start to decline. Good thing I got the roast out of the oven after 1 hour 15 min into the 2 hour period or I'm sure it would have been overcooked for me. Next time I'm going to remove it after 1 hour with the oven off and I think it will be about perfect. I have never tested the oven temps in this kitchen so I don't know how accurate it is but I think it is fairly so since if I do a casserole or other baked dish, it is generally ready in the amount of time specified in the recipe. Way closer than the Viking in my other kitchen anyway.

I don't do that many roasts in a year since I'm mostly only cooking for 2 so I don't get much practice and they are invariably not rare enough for me, which is a disappointment. Now I see that I need to be allowing for more like 20 or 25 deg carryover cooking increase in the temp rather than the 5 to 10 deg increase you generally read about, at least for my technique of cooking the rib roast at higher temps to obtain the uneven degree of doneness from crispy/well done to a rare center that my family prefers. I'm so pleased that I finally did a rib roast that I was really happy with!!

If I do one outside the winter months, I will definitely try it on my KK, strictly monitored to adjust for the KK heat retention. My Chef Alarm temp probe is a high temp probe so the 500 deg is not a problem. I only wish it had remote capabilities!!

Susan

Did you ever get that immersion circulator for doing sous vide? That might be the trick to it. 130F bath for 4-6 hours, then a quick sear under the broiler to crisp up the bark and viola!

Nearing the "pulling the trigger" point myself. Been reading up on it over the holiday and am eager to experiment with it.

Just very a little bit less unusual. I wasn't going to publish about elo boosting this because I did it in my stove but I analyzed the warm variety of this get prepared and was so experienced by the outcomes that I regarded it was value a publish. Unfortunately, I don't accept to the amazing and night and ice nearly as well as my KK so it hibernates for the winter season season season time season.