dstr8

Bacon & Clam Pizza

The inspiration for this recipe came from Joe Squared's restaurant, seen on Diner's, Dives and Drive-Ins sometime back.

For this initial test run for this recipe I was happy, overall, how it turned out.  But like most first time recipe try outs there will be a couple minor changes for subsequent versions :)

I found some high quality shucked, raw frozen chopped clams at Whole Foods:  Sam's Clams.  They were so fresh and inviting I couldn't resist tasting a few raw...incredible!  

The "sauce" consisted of:  Two heads of garlic, roasted then mashed and combined with a little olive oil, salt & pepper and creme fraiche.

The toppings:  Rendered bacon, raw clams and smoked gouda cheese.

The dough:  Italian sourdough starter culture using Jeff Verasano's Neapolitan dough recipe.

I didn't have quite enough large chunks of lump to get the KK north of about 675*F (dome) but all in all the pies came out very well and tasty.  The clams were super tender because I added them to the pizza raw instead of pre-cooked:  Perfect!

A couple of alterations I will make next time I make this recipe:  The "sauce" was a little too thick...so instead of creme fraiche I'm going to use a little heavy cream to thin out a little more.  I'll also use 3-heads of roasted garlic.  And I'll reduce the amount of cheese by approximately 50%.  

Sorry, no pics of this pie on the KK...you'll just have to take my word it was baked on the KK :)

post-1238-0-37384700-1391790176_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-36272400-1391790188_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-27207000-1391790208_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-31575100-1391790218_thumb.jp

So I made the Bacon and Clam Pizza again...but switched a few things up for the better.

* Used roasted garlic as the base...just thinned with EVO to spreadable consistency; no need for cream product here IMO.  Net +

* Added about 1/3C freshly grated asiago cheese atop the roasted garlic...just enough to add a hint of flavor without being "cheesy".  Net +

* Eliminated the smoked gouda (too rubbery; wrong texture; didn't need the extra smoke flavor).  Net +

* Added fresh oregano over the top of the pizza

* Added torn pieces of very well drained fresh mozzarella bocconcini (sandwich the cheese balls between paper towels until the towels remain dry...keep the cheese in the fridge until you;re ready to add to the pizza); even better if you can find/afford bufala mozzarella.  Net +

* Added thinly sliced sweet onion to the top.  Net +

* Drizzled the pizza with EVO before sliding it into the KK.  Net +

The right side of the pizza got just a bit over-charred...should have rotated the pie about 1-minute sooner...

Thanks to Joe Squared and Guy Fieri for the idea!

post-1238-0-41332500-1394154089_thumb.jp