Smokydave

The calm before the storm

More ugly weather tomorrow night and Monday.  We may get a 8-12 inches here (again).  I don't mind, but I really can't wait for spring.  Just in case we get snowed in, I fired up my KK and started smoking.

I bought beef ribs at Walmart and noticed they looked a little boney.  Sure enough they are fairly meatless.  So just in case they came out badly, I also bought some boneless short ribs at Costco.  I've had great luck with them before.  Rubbed both the racks and the boneless meat with coffee cardamon rub.  Threw in a boneless hame that I rubbed with my own rub.  We'll see how the bones turn out, but I'm not holding out much hope.

post-1101-0-32335500-1393710717_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-33578600-1393710764_thumb.jp

post-1101-0-41578400-1393710808_thumb.jp

Welcome to my world! 7th Coldest Winter on record here in Iowa, going back 130 years! Coldest in the last 25 years, too! Snowing as we speak, predicting about 6" by morning.  :cold:

I've tried to sneak in some cooks now and then, whenever it gets above freezing - or at least when the wind chill gets into positive numbers above single digits!! On the bright side, this bad winter has given me time to learn alternative cooking methods - pressure cooking and sous vide. Although it's nice to be able to finish a sous vide steak off on the sear grill!! Planning on cooking my pot roast tomorrow in the pressure cooker.

Here's a picture of my last beef rib cook. Back and short ribs. Both bone-in. The short ribs were good, but not a lot of meat on them - mostly bone and fat.

post-975-0-66387500-1393711657_thumb.jpg

• Like 1