Porkchop

Alternative to the beloved brisket...

I used to work at a texas-style bbq place and i've done hundreds of packer-trim briskets. from a $$ standpoint, there always seemed to me a lot of waste, and, for them that have done them at home, they can be a challenge. plus, they're messy when carving, and contain some pretty nasty inedible items (nasty "center" fat, big veins, etc).

so, i think i'm gonna try a "chuck roll" sometime soon; maybe saturday. here's a link to a great post on the BGE forum concerning a chuck roll cook.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/wwwboard/mes ... 8295.shtml

Did the chuck roll... (sorry, no pics)

well, my difficulties with my camera continue. but Kong, the cement wonder of the world, is cooking along nicely...

bought a chuck roll at Sams for $36/18# cryovac'd roll. just as a side note, the first meat person i talked to didn't know what i was talking about. asked for a chuck roll, and she brought me out a 10# chub of ground chuck! heh. explained to her that it was the primal that they were cutting their chuck roasts out of, and she said, "oh, i'll check with *blank*, he knows about that kind of stuff." so, a few minutes later, big ol' slab o meat in hand, and i'm off.

started with a 10# bag of royal oak lump, got about 4 left, after 20 hrs. not bad; did have temp spike up to 300 after i hit the sack, but what came out was beautiful.

allow me to elaborate. after 20 hours, this hunk was tender, juicy, and just awesome. i've done plenty of brisket, and i much prefer this. after finish, i cut the whole affair in half, deciding to take 2 approaches; chopping and pulling. the first half i cut into 1.5" thick slabs and then chopped them. funny, but the general shape made them look a little like ribeyes. took pics, but they came out like crap. maybe i'll try to lighten them up a little and i'll post. anyhow, the chopping reminded me very much of chopping brisket points. very similar consistancy without as much vein-y stuff, or fat. there were a few clumps of what i call "nasty fat", but nothing like what you'd get off the bottom of a brisket point. made a sandwich mid-way, as i couldn't stand it anymore. wonderful! tender, juicy, and good!

second half i pulled, and, i'll tell you, the way it chopped, i didn't have high hopes. as soft as the chopped came out, it fell very firm as i was chopping, making me anticipate a struggle while pulling. i was way off. the pull was MUCH easier than chopping, and was just beautiful. again, had to pick thru it for a few clumps of "NF" and veins, but overall it just came apart.

i definitely prefered this to any brisket cook i've done. what i really loved was the uniformity of the chuck roll. with a whole COV packer trim brisket, you've got a thin end, and a thick end. the toe of that brisket always dries out, and the point is never done without throwing it back on for a couple more hours. NEXT time i do one of these (perfect for a big party!), i will try to slice some of the center a bit thinner and see what it's like as sliced beef.

for them that like butt cooks, this is the perfect piece of beef to do. i STILL prefer my beloved swine, but this is a good alternative for them that don't indulge in the dirty beast!

pics coming when i can!

oh, as a side note, came away with about 10# servable beef (not counting the massive sammich i made myself!)

FWIW, here's pics

chuckroll040106_0007.jpg

here's 1/4 of the chuck roll, cut into steaks for chopping... see what i mean about "looking like ribeyes"?

chuckroll040106_0003.jpg

here's 1/4 of the roll chopped, and the other 1/4 before i cut it into the steaks you saw above...

sorry, none of my other pics were even close to this good. but, if i have a choice between a good camera, or a KK, well... you can't eat the pictures!

What camera do you have? Photography is my other hobby...

Maybe I can help...

First... Lighting. There is simply no substitute for good lighting. Those 2 photos look like they were taken in a cave. Put the food under a 100W lamp and you'll see a dramatic improvement.

Second... it looks the focus was off. A lot of cameras have trouble focusing close unless you have it in macro mode. Look at the specs/instructions for your camera and you'll see a minimum focus distance.

Third... and this really falls under lighting, it looks like there was some camera shake (slower shutter speed to get the correct exposure in a dark room). A tripod and timer shutter release is best but if you don't have a tripod, a beanbag, book... anything you can set the camera on while it's framing the food will do.

That said... for a number of reasons, food photography is one of the most difficult specialties under photography. The camera helps but even with a give-away-for-free cell phone camera one can take good pictures if the lighting is good. A couple of work lanterns from the garage will do until you can upgrade.