dstr8

4th of July Butt...

Part One:

6lb bone-in pastured pork butt + homemade garam masala rub +  pecan chunks over KK Coco + 13 hours overnight @ ~250-ish + wrapped & resting in a towel lined cooler =  The basis for Part Two

Also I made a smoked blackberry & habanero bbq sauce that will serve to amp up the main dish.  

post-1238-0-14908500-1404490063_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-03668600-1404490076_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-22026500-1404490088_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-24109400-1404491681_thumb.jp

Part Two, the Assembly:  Pulled pork atop a sourdough (French) cornmeal waffle +  freshly roasted (on the KK of course!) corn cut from the cob + poached egg + homemade bbq beans (also baked on the KK today) + a drizzle of the Smoked Blackberry-Habanero BBQ sauce and Tyler Florence's Watermelon Gazpacho = 4th of July 2014 dining bliss!.

This meal was my interpretation/twist up of our typical summer/4th of July meals typically consisting of:  Smoked pork, corn-on-the cob, baked beans, deviled eggs and fresh watermelon.  Have to beat my chest on this one as it came out exactly as I imagined!

Love'n my twenty-three!  

post-1238-0-29653100-1404519379_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-40231000-1404519390_thumb.jp

post-1238-0-68616200-1404519398_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Dstr8 - I think I just had a moment. I was scrolling through your pictures and was about to ask what the heck is up with the ice cream on the pulled pork and......scrolled to the next picture. A poached egg on a pulled pork sandwich? Good God man that looks delicious!! Thanks for sharing.

^ yes...love poached/fried eggs on many savory dishes.   Have you ever had/made the classic French Frisee Salad with Lardon?  My favorite method is to use pork belly confit...cut into cubes and crisped on all sides.  But I also like it very well too with pulled pork that has been crispy fried...pseudo carnitas.

This is one version I made a few years ago while out exploring/camping with buddies near Death Valley...

Another wonderfully simple egg trick (yet it adds much more than the sum of the parts to any pasta-marinara dish):  After you pull the cooked pasta out of the cooking water...add a whole egg yolk (1-per serving) to the simmering water and poach the yolk for about 1-minute...just long enough to skin over about 1/8"; retrieve with a slotted spoon/spider.  Then after plating the pasta place the warm yolk atop the pasta mound...cut and mix into the pasta.  Guilding the lillie :D   I learned this simple but unctuous trick from Lidia Bastianich.

post-1238-0-63148900-1405290723_thumb.jp

It won't scramble if you leave the yolk whole...gently slip it into the simmering water.

I've confit'd belly in duck fat, lard I rendered myself (because I can't find real lard to buy) and also olive oil.  The olive oil confit turned out excellent and is overall less hassle and less spendy too.

Also know if you have Trader Joe's where you live they now, as of this spring, carry pork belly that has already been confit'd...12oz package...fresh...vac bagged...and ready to crisp...for <$7.  

Will definitely look for the lardon next visit to TJ's. Unfortunately, the closest one to me is in Des Moines (150 miles), so I don't go very often. But when I do go, I generally load up. Love their pre-marinated carne asada. And, usually several cases of 3 Buck Chuck!