CeramicChef

Herman's Cole Slaw

Howdy KKers!

Below is a recipe for a vinegar based cole slaw from a very famous seafood restaurant, Herman's Seafood, here in OKC. The restaurant closed some years ago, but the recipe survives. I serve this about about half the cooks I do and it's a must have for pulled pork sammies! Enjoy!

Herman’s Cole Slaw

Ingredients:

1 head cabbage, thinly sliced

2 onions, thinly sliced

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar

1 cup cider vinegar

1 teaspoon dry mustard

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon celery seed

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 - 3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 bottles of sliced pimentos

Directions:

Shred cabbage & onions. Cover with the 1/2 cup sugar. Set aside for about one hour. Boil vinegar, 2 Tbsp sugar, mustard, salt, and celery seed; pour over cabbage while hot. Add grated diced pimientos. Add garlic & salad oil. Let set 24 hours; serve cold. It is quite tart, so add sugar "to taste". Will keep in refrigerator for weeks.

Speaking of old slaw recipes - here's one from the old Kamado (POSK) Forum that I've used a lot. It really goes well with pulled pork sandwiches (it's a Southern thing!)

Posted by Barry on Thursday, September 08, 2005- 4:24pm:

Here is a coleslaw  recipe I like to use with  the pork..I use Napa or Savoy cabbage.  I like  the 
texture and sweetness it gives  to the slaw.

Rinse off a head of Napa or Savoy cabbage, removing the outer  leaves and discarding. Wrap it 
tightly and slice into  about  1/4  inch thick. For the  dressing I use

3/4  cup Best Foods mayonnaise
2T Balsamic  Vinegar
1T Rice wine  vinegar
1/2t colemans dry  mustard
1T Sesame  seed oil
1/2t white  pepper
1T white  sugar
2-3  cloves  of garlic  smashed  and chopped

Whisk it all together in a large  bowl.  Add chopped cabbage  by the  hand  full while  stirring to 
incorporate it all together.

This is all approximate since I made this  recipe  up and never  measure it. Just taste  it. It is 
all good.

I also add a spice mixture called Zattar. It is popular in the middle east, particularly Jordan.  
The main ingredients of Zattar are thyme, roasted sesame seeds and sumac.  It is not readily  available 
in stores.  I would think  a google  search  would  find a supplier. Zattar adds a different flavor 
 to the  slaw that  no one can figure  out.  It goes really  well with  the pulled  pork  though. 
It is also, I have  found, indispensable when  you want to K a really  good leg of lamb.

I add the Zattar when I make it - about a tablespoon. The sumac gives it a tart, lemony component. And, the other thing is to let it rest for a couple of hours to blend the flavors.
  • Like 1