CeramicChef

What's Cooking This Weekend: 10/14 to 10/16?

Hi KKers!

So what's on the menu this coming weekend?  I'm helping a friend learn how to cook on his Kamado, a Primo XL I gave him that predated The Beast's arrival here in OKC.  We're having deer meat from a fawn taken some time back.  Should be very tender and tasty.  That will be Sunday after church.

I'm thinking that Saturday evening, I'll do a surf and turf for SWMBO and myself.  NY Strips and scallops, some cole slaw with Herman's dressing that SWMBO loves, and a roasted head of cauliflower.

Friday evening, I think we're having pizza.  I've got meetings all day Friday with my attorneys and I'll be hammered flat getting out of that meeting.  I'm thinking about grabbing a pizza from Papa Murphy's and throwing it on The Beast.  Something quick, easy, and good.

I'll post some pics if I can remember to take 'em.

Have a great weekend!

I'm gonna make smoked salmon candy for the fourth time in 4 weeks. Still getting the hang of it but I absolutely love smoked fish.

1st time, temp got away from me (I'm new to KK and ceramics) and got a bit too overdone and was way too salty

2nd time, temp and brine were good but not sweet enough

3rd time, temp, brine, sweetness awesome BUT very little smoke flavor - had made ribs the night before and they were way too smokey and no one liked them so went w less smoke.

Having a tough time getting just the right amount of smoke flavor. Been reading a lot about the blue and white smoke and finding that need more oxygen and a real flame to get the thin smoke. Not sure possible on KK at low temps. When oxygen deprived, some volatiles will not burn off and u get the whiter smoke. It can be thin if there's not much wood smoking but still is white smoke. Trick of getting the smoke thru the hot coals doesn't work because still need oxygen to burn off the volatiles... Am experimenting with this now. Trying to build a very small but hot fire with more oxygen - been challenging cuz of efficiency of KK.

We got 4+ inches of the white stuff last night, and it's like 8F with the windchill outside, so my a$$ is staying indoors. Making a pot of chili for dinner. Got ambitious and drug out the meat grinder and course ground half of the bottom round roast, cubed the rest. Simmering away after my 6 dumps of chile powders.

Normally, I'd fire up the KK and grill some sirloin to toss into the chili pot, but like I said, too damned cold today!

Nothing better than a bowl of red on a wintry day!

• Like 1