Cookie

Beef Topside Roast

Our local supermarket has a good deal running on wagyu topside roasts.  Might pick one up tomorrow.  Anyone have suggestions on how to prepare / cook?  Typically I'd cut it into small roasts and freeze / save for pressure cooking on a Sunday when my wife and I are looking for a quick 'one pot' meal for the family.  Tomorrow is a public holiday and I have time to use the KK, but don't ever recall doing a topside on the BBQ.  I had a look at them in passing the other day in the store and they don't have a uniform thickness / shape -- may have to tie up with butcher's twine, not sure.

Inject?

Smoke?  What wood?

Rub?

Pull?  Slice?

Great price on this meat by Singapore standards, feeling obligated to give it a go.

Cookie

• Like 1

First, being able to buy wagyu at the local market - you suck! Super expensive here in the States and have to pay overnight shipping charges to boot!!

OK, now the rants over. I cook roasts all the time. Haven't done a brisket in forever, as I'm single and don't need that much meat! Do them "lo & slo" just like a brisket. I inject mine (Butcher's BBQ Brisket) and dry rub the outside (various rubs/combo's of rubs, total whimsy on my part). I use the dutch oven smoker pot method and generally use oak and cherry wood chunks for beef. Maybe a small piece of mesquite in the mix. I have had to tie up the boneless ones sometimes if they want to separate along the muscle lines. I shoot for at least 200F internal. Wrap in foil and towel and let rest for 10 -15 minutes -target final around 210F. Depending on the cut, it will either pull easily, or you just end up slicing it. Comes out great either way!

post-975-0-32316200-1433086083_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-50840500-1433086118_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-23259400-1433086138_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-55783600-1433086159_thumb.jpg

Can't wait to see the pics of your cook!

Alright, you've given me inspiration, I'll pick one up tomorrow.  As for the ability to buy Wagyu in the local supermarket, it is still super expensive by USA standards.  Singapore has a very high cost of living, so when I said 'good deal,' take that with a pinch of salt, it is still silly and hard to justify.  I'd never touch it at the 'normal' price.  I bought a bunch (and froze it) in early January when they were getting rid of the Christmas / New Years leftovers and loved it.  Didn't think I'd see it again at these prices until next January.

So of course I went back to the market today and the only one left was massive.  I bit the bullet, brought it home and cut it into 4 decent size hunks o' meat.  When I got a look at a cross section, wasn't prepared to see all the marbling, even in a wagyu cut.  I know we generally need to cook topside low and slow and to pretty much well done in order to have something tender to eat...just wondering if that has to be the case in this instance.  So much marbling I'm thinking about trying a couple of steaks.  Decisions Decisions...  Won't happen till weekend of 12th, too much on the agenda this weekend.

Also stumbled upon some beef back ribs...why not.

So of course I went back to the market today and the only one left was massive.  I bit the bullet, brought it home and cut it into 4 decent size hunks o' meat.  When I got a look at a cross section, wasn't prepared to see all the marbling, even in a wagyu cut.  I know we generally need to cook topside low and slow and to pretty much well done in order to have something tender to eat...just wondering if that has to be the case in this instance.  So much marbling I'm thinking about trying a couple of steaks.  Decisions Decisions...  Won't happen till weekend of 12th, too much on the agenda this weekend.

Also stumbled upon some beef back ribs...why not.

While it has all that yummy intramuscular fat to keep it juicy, does it still have all the collagen that would need a low and slow cook to break down? Not having ever had access to a waygu brisket (you still suck!), I'm just speculating. Since you cut it into 4 sections, you can experiment and let us know how it all comes out (the least you can do!).