leejp

Recommendation for sauce recipes..

OK OK so sauce is secondary to rub which is secondary to meat. But I happen to like it with my butt/ribs/brisket.

I've tried and made plenty but haven't found a good recipe yet for a tangy and hot, vinegar based sauce. I make the carolina pickle juice based sauces for my pulled pork but I don't find it thick enough for other me. I would like the "consistency/thickness" to be like ranch salad dressing. Any suggestions here?

Lee, I did a version of Elder Ward's recipe for a ketchup-base sauce from the BGE forum. it's ok, but the original is probably better. I'm doing a low-carb diet, so sugar was out...

1 c. low-carb ketchup

1 c. diet pepsi

1/4 c. cider vinegar

2 T rooster sauce

1 T tepatio/hot sauce

2 T prepared yellow mustard

4 T splenda

1 T onion powder

1 T chili powder

1.5 t garlic powder

1 t cayenne

result was good. wanted something for all the pulled/chopped beef I made this weekend. I like vinegar sauce for my pulled pork, but I need a tomato-y sauce for my beef. has a nice vinegar kick tho.

good luck. sauces have never been my strong suite!

Here's a good sauce recipe I found in my archives. I remember this being quite good... but I was also trying to find another recipe I had called "American BBQ sauce".... from the old K forum days... I'll let you know if I find it because that sounds closer to what you're looking for. In the meantime, try this:

JJ's B-B-Q DIPPING SAUCE

1- cup chopped onion

4 - tablespoons dark brown sugar

2 - tablespoons paprika

2 - teaspoons salt

2 - teaspoons dry mustard

1 - teaspoon chili powder

1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

4 - tablespoons Worcestshire sauce

2 - cups cider vinegar

2 - cups tomato juice

3/4 - cup catsup

1 - cup water

Saute the onions until they become transparent. I use olive oil to saute them in. Then place onions and the rest

of the ingredients into a sauce pan and simmer. Stir often. Taste after about 20 minutes, adjust sweetness or

tartness to your liking. The longer you simmer the better the taste. You will have to add water to the sauce

while simmering as it will get too thick. I use the sauce to dip my Q in rather than baste with it. Put it into a

large mason jar and store in fridge until next Q time. I take some sauce put it into small glass bowl and micro-

wave till hot.

(Really great stuff! However, I would suggest not using so much vinegar - I have cut ours down to 'bout 3/4 cup and when simmering, if it looks like more liquid is needed early on, I add 'bout a quarter cup of red screech.)

I believe JJ was from the BGE forum? I don't know who's comment that is about reducing the vinegar, but I recall taking their advice and adjusting the vinegar level up as needed. Also, you might consider throwing in chopped jalapeños for zing. What is red screech?

--Mike

8)

This was the recipe I was trying to find:

Basic All American BBQ Sauce

Recipe By : The Thrill of the Grill by Chris Schlesinger

4 Large onions -- chopped

3 Tablespoons vegetable oil -- for sautéing

1 28 Oz Can tomato puree

3 28 Oz Cans tomatoes -- with juice

2 1/2 Cups white vinegar

4 Tablespoons packed dark brown sugar

4 Tablespoons granulated sugar

2 Tablespoons salt

2 Tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper

2 Tablespoons paprika

2 Tablespoons chili powder

4 Tablespoons molasses

1 Cup orange juice

2 Tablespoons Liquid Barbecue Smoke®

8 Tablespoons brown mustard -- Dijon-style

In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, sauté the onion in the oil over medium-high heat until golden brown, about 7 to 10 minutes.

Add all the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer uncovered at the lowest possible heat for 4 hours. (This long cooking removes as much acidity as possible from the tomatoes.)

Puree sauce in 2, 3, or more batches to prevent it from spilling out of your food processor or blender.

Will keep 2 weeks, covered, in the refrigerator.

This makes a thicker red sauce. When I did this I skipped the "liquid smoke" which is lame (in my opinion)... and I used apple cider vinegar, which I prefer. From the ingredients I know I'd prefer a little more spice in there... some cayenne or jalapeños maybe. Maybe a touch more brown sugar. I'd probably substitute dry mustard for the dijon. And I might skip the orange juice. It's been years since I've tried this though... so you're on your own.

:wink:

If you havent already tried Chef Jukes Raspberry chipotle

You should! I think I have seen the recipe on this board somewhere. Its a little sweet, slightly smoky and as hot as you want to make it via the canned chipotles. Wonderful on ribs, butts (I know alot of you guys are vinegar sauce fans!), and my 8 year old has taken to dipping his chicken strips in it.

Just in case, below is the recipe, as posted by the chef himself, on another forum. With regard to his notes, I used Knotts Berry Farm preserves, which has alot of whole fruit in it. I blended my chipotles as well as the preserves (together) before cooking, which made for a nice thick sauce - sans any kind of chunks.

Chef Juke's Raspberry-Chipotle Barbecue Sauce

NOTE: This is a slight variation on the classic Kansas City Barbecue sauce from the KC Barbecue Association, for those who like their BBQ Hot & Smoky!

6 Tbls. packed dark brown sugar

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup molasses

¼ cup Worcestershire sauce

2 Tbls dark rum

2 Tbls yellow mustard

1 Tbls pure chili powder

2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper

2 tsp. garlic powder

1 tsp. ground allspice

1/4 tsp. ground cloves

1/4 cup Chipotles en Adobo, finely chopped

2 cups ketchup

2 cups Raspberry Preserves (I use Wall's Berry Farm Raspberry preserves from Costco)

Kosher or sea salt

Pepper

In large saucepan, combine sugar, vinegar, molasses, Worcestershire, rum, mustard, chili powder, pepper, garlic powder, allspice and cloves. Bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, uncovered, until all ingredients are dissolved, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. Stir in ketchup and bring to boil, stirring constantly. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Reduce heat slightly, add raspberry jam and 1/4 cup chipotles** and gently simmer sauce, uncovered, until dark & thick, about 30 minutes, stirring often. Use right away or transfer to jars, cover, cool to room temperature and refrigerate. Sauce will keep several months. Makes 5 cups or 20 servings.

NOTES:

**Add the chipotle peppers to taste. Since simmering will bring out the heat in the peppers start by adding ¼ cup of chipotles and cook for the 30 minutes THEN taste again and add additional peppers if you like it REALLY HOT.

As with any recipe you can vary many of the ingredients to taste. Some items that you might want try adjusting are the amount of allspice and/or cloves or the type of raspberry preserves (I have not tried this with straight berries yet), etc.