rorkin

Chuck Roll Tale Tale of woe

After hearing all the raves about Chuck roll , I decided to take the plunge

and try one.. using the simple instructions on the Weber site.

I was only able to find a 21# hunk but figured what the heck.. It is not so easy to find a smaller one..and others have said they have used the same.. The piece was slathered and seasoned and put on the cooker at about 9:30 at night.. The temp through the cook was rock solid at about 230.. The cook progressed normally and the roast hit 165 degrees.

This is where I wrapped foil which is supposed to keep the meat moist and speed cooking. The temp rise slowed but eventually got to about 171 where it plateaued.. OK so far normal. That was about one in the afternoon.. Here is where it started to get weird.. The plateau lasted till about 6 pm.. OK a big piece and a plateau is expected..it then took till about 9 pm to get to 182.. I figured I am in the home stretch but this beast has been on for 24 hours so far.. between 9 and midnight the temperature drops back to 180 !!!! It is now almost 27 hours..

The meat pierces easily and feels loose so I figure enough is enough..

I am afraid that this baby is going to be bone dry..I take it off

I let it stand and see what is up.. well it pulls pretty easily and for the most part is moist.. but the meat is still chewy.. I guess I should have held on for 195 degrees but unless the temp started to rise and a bit more quickly , I was headed for a 30 hour or more cook. Anyone successfully cook anything this large ?? I guess if I try again I will cut it to 2 pieces or keep looking for a smaller one

Re: Chuck Roll Tale Tale of woe

... Anyone successfully cook anything this large ?? I guess if I try again I will cut it to 2 pieces or keep looking for a smaller one

Yeah, we've all had success with a chuck roll...you probably just aren't in our league friend. That's alright, not everybody can cook a large piece of meat like that :D . Just kidding, you musta got a difficult piece of meat, maybe should have bumped it up to 250 -275 to get er past that hard spot and just wait it out til it told ya it was ready...195ish. That meat is far from wasted though, there was a taco recipe on here a view days ago that was screaming for you. Try it again and it'll probably come out perfect.

It ain't like a brisket though :shock:

1-1/2 hr / #rule of thumb...

Many folks here have cooked at higher temps for a shorter period and have had success. Check out Majestik's chuck roll.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=334

I cooked a 10#er for 10hrs at 250* and had it come out good. Every piece of meat is different.

That said... I always give the meat ~1-1/2HRs/#. How embarassing is it to have hungry guests while the meat is stuck at 180*. Much safer to have it done early... wrap in foil+ towels and throw in a cooler.

Now... wrapping in foil to keep the meat moist... Hmmm... I know many folks do it. But does it really work?