marco polo

First cook + leftover suggestions

Well made 2 racks of baby backs and a boston butt. Ribs on at 250 for @ 4 hrs, and Butt on for 18 at @ 220. Ribs were amazing, I cannot believe how easy it is to look like you know what you are doing with the KK. I am very pleased. Butt was very moist, and crispy on the outside. Inspired to do something with all the pulled pork, I started cooking some basmati rice, once done, mixed in a can of black beans, a can of chopped tomatoes, a good helping of the pulled pork, and had another feast yesterday. Today, I sauteed some onion, mixed in with some of the basmati from yesterday (I put a little of it aside for today), a few sundried tomatoes chopped, another good helpin' of the pulled pork, a cup of bread crumbs, and stuffed all that in some bell peppers, in the oven it goes. Boy it smells good...

Poor quality pics, sorry, but here is the first cook...

Photo8.jpg

Photo11.jpg

Well, I took your suggestions. I chopped some of the pork shoulder and have it in a cast iron pot with beans, onion, tomatoes. Chili! Nuthin made with that pork could taste bad, I'm convinced. :)

Probably won't get to stuffing peppers, like Marco did, but I'm sure going to make rice. Smells great!

No, didn't fire up the cooker for heating the chili. It's WAY too cold outside today. Stovetop will have to do.

sanny, no need for doing that in the kooker anyhow; porks already got all the flavor! i've done pulled pork chili, and you are in for a treat! you may want to make sure you've got plenty of liquid tho, as the pork tends to really soak it up and turn it too thick! you'll be using an ice cream scoop instead of a ladle! altho, that's not necessarily a bad thing; maybe a scoop of that plopped into some rolled out biscuit or crescent roll dough, then baked or (oh, man...) FRIED. maybe some cheese in the equation somewhere, or some sour cream...

defib! you better call your boyfriend, sanny! tell him to bring the paddles!

I added some extra liquid, PC, because the starting combination was very very thick. Now it's simmering nicely. House smells heavenly! Dog is following me around, in case she might be the beneficiary of dropped Q.

Snooky is on his own for a few days. He's got a stats exam, and lots to do in the next couple of days. No chili for him. And, he's committed to ending his present lease at the end of March, and start new one in Rochester on the Ides of March. :( I keep telling myself 6 hours isn't really very far away.

Hmmm. Chili isn't too "hot." Of course, I didn't have any ancho/jalepeno/habanero/poblano peppers to put in. I used chili powder, and some dried red pepper from a summertime crop. But, because I'm always prepared for Chinese dumpling fixings, I have hot oil! I put a shot of that in. Don't want to light it on fire, but it should have some mouth action.

Marco's basmati rice sounded so good! I KNOW I have some. Somewhere. Or coulda sworn I did. Brown will have to do. Couldn't find the basmati or jasmine.

Ok, Costco run (again). I bought 12 lbs of basmati rice, so I'm not gonna run out any time soon. Chili tastes quite yummy, now that a day or two have passed and the flavors are gettin all chummy. Of course, there's only a meal of it left, after today's lunch. Hmmm. what to make with the next portion of pork? The beans/pork/rice thing sounds good, but kinda similar to the chili. But since that was yummy, no reason not to do it. Except not having black beans.

Any suggestions? Don't like tacos much.

Pizza!

ABT's!

enchiladas!

lasagna!

stuffed shells or manacotti!

quiche! (or, for the truckers here, "pork, egg, & cheese pie")

stuffed tomatoes or peppers!

pate! (food processer, some onion, jalapenos, whatever, maybe some sauce, spin it and spread on crackers, whatever)

pulled pork; the edible playdoh of the universe!

pulled pork; the edible playdoh of the universe!
:::giggle:::

Gramma prolly would make Deviled pork salad. Throw in some mayo and pickle pieces and you got sammich spread! Or maybe pork croquettes (cream sauce, celery and bread crumbs, patty, fry in pan like a latke). Boggles the mind, really.

Hmmm. I think it sounds like you're expanding my waistline, more than Q consciousness... Wonder how scalloped tatoes with pork in them would be? I've heard of putting bacon in. Why not some pulled pork, instead? Not that I'm gonna run right out and do that, cause I cannot get through a 5 lb bag of tatoes before they sprout eyes and run for office.

Speaking of storing stuff, I always have a lot of waste when I get celery, carrots, onions, peas for soup and stuff. Just cannot go through the stuff fast enough to justify buying a bunch. And yet, soup isn't the same without those things. Answer!! www.honeyvillegrain.com. I bought the freeze dried, and it's perfect!! You want onions so small that the kids cannot pick them out? Get the freeze dried and roll em with rolling pin. Rehydrate, and they'll never find em in there. "What onions, honey? I know you don't like them. Do you see any in there?" lol

I will second the pizza suggestion. I have made pizza using a light coating of chef Jukes raspberry chipotle bbq sauce in place of standard pizza sauce, added onions, green peppers and pulled pork on top of the cheese.

It was even the favorite of my 9 year olds finicky friends! Though they did try picking the vegetables off :o

FM, it has been too long since i've done pulled pork pizza, but it is totally kind! sanny, you've HEARD of bacon in scalloped taters??? hokey smokes! pulled pork in scalloped taters; very good! pulled pork in your green beans or collards; very good (even better if you make sure and get some of that bark-y pork in there!)!

but you gotta try the pizza if you like pizza even just a little. it comes out good with bbq sauce or even the red sauce. alfredo? some spinach? or, hollar at me midwesterners, stuffed pie with big hunks of pulled pork in the middle?

and speaking of pie, how about taking some of those aforementioned freeze dried items and making a pork pot pie? with a real lard crust! veggies, taters, cream or pork gravy...

anybody says they don't like pork ain't had it done right! anybody says they don't like bacon, they are lyin' or there's something ain't right with 'em!

Porky goodness

Tonight's recipe is leftover pork in an iron pot, with dry rice, corn, peas, carrots, onions and celery. Add water. Baked (covered) in the oven. Dunno how it'll taste. I was gonna put some chicken stock in, but decided that might dilute porky goodness. So, porky's on its own in the recipe. Coulda put tomatoes, or little beans, but kinda wanted to not have something that was just chili sideways. Something different, instead.

Film at 11, and all. :)

You know what sounds good right now?

Some pork tamales or enchiladas! Mix some of that rice into Spanish rice, and I'll be right over :D

:) I have the saffron! Yer on. Dunno how to make a tamale - don't think I've ever had one. Enchilada, either, now you mention. Just burrito and wrapped thingies. And crunchy thingies that are the same as the wrapped ones, only in a crunchy holder.

Inspiring topics...

The idea of fried and cheese lingered, and last night made a nice dough, and made what are called pizzelle in Italy, or at least in naples, as pizzelle are also a sweet dough somewhere in northern italy. Anyway, a good pinch of dough, flattened into a mini pizza round, and stuffing of pulled butt, ricotta, lotsa pepper. fold it over like a calzone, be sure to pinch it closed all around, and into some hot oil. It will rise up out of the oil, get a nice golden color, out it comes, and smother in tomato sauce. Mamma mia.... :shock:

Also made some with anchovies and olives. Goodness gracious.

On deck for the weekend, focaccia on the KK 8)