DMAX

What am I doing wrong?

I'm with DJ. Go indirect, 225-250, and hold off on that mop, especially if it is sweet. Your bark was likely charred sugar from your mop.

You will not get a bunch of crispy dark bark if you cook them indirect. I also like to stand mine on their sides, so I dont have to worry about flipping them during the cook.

Gadgetgeek said it best, so many ribs, so many ways to cook them. I say you keep feeding it to the family, they will acquire the taste :wink: You probably didnt like the first beer you ever tasted, either :eek:

Foil....BAH! I hate foiled ribs. The meat ends up steamed' date=' not good eats IMO. LIke others have said, try a rub with little sugar.[/quote']

Lots a BBQ contests are won slow cooking first, foiling second, and then grilling after. But hey, It's all in what ya like...

Yup, but lots of BBQ contest cooks, do Que for contest vastly different than how they cook their Que at home. I can understand due to timing / holding issue. For me personally, there is only one shot / one time the rib hits that sweet spot (anything else is a leftover). It maybe that all my ribs are dry cooked and dry plated as to why foils ruins them in my opinion. But as always, different strokes for different folks!

-=Jasen=-

Ok, so a little more info and a few more hints...

1. I used just dry rub (no sugar in it), plus some yellow mustard for the first four hours,

2. The "mop" was root beer (a belgian, heavy nutmeg microbrew)

3. The 250 temp was at the dome, should I be at 225 here?

4. I didn't flip the ribs at all. just cooked the entire time with the bone side down

5. Totally indirect. Had the heat deflector in its metal pan on top of the fire basket and had the large drip pan on the lower rack with the ribs on the main grill.

6. Had about half a dozen medium chunks of hickory and three or four small chunks of maple in there.

I'm itching to start another batch today, just to continue the experiment, so chime in as you can.

DMAX

1. I used just dry rub (no sugar in it), plus some yellow mustard for the first four hours,

4. I didn't flip the ribs at all. just cooked the entire time with the bone side down

5. Totally indirect. Had the heat deflector in its metal pan on top of the fire basket and had the large drip pan on the lower rack with the ribs on the main grill.

6. Had about half a dozen medium chunks of hickory and three or four small chunks of maple in there.

I'm itching to start another batch today, just to continue the experiment, so chime in as you can.

DMAX

Comments on the wood choice... I really like the flavor of white oak on ribs. I sure can't add advice for a Kamado, there are REAL pro's in that department here. I like the smoke on for about half the time required on the smoker too, especially if it is hickory mix. Good lump charcoal will give it the rest of the smoke it needs IMHO.. I use Wicked Good "Competition Blend, and really like it.

I rub my ribs the night before and then leave them at room temp for about an hour before putting them on the K. THe K is usually at 230 or so and I usually stack the ribs and roatate them every hour or so. I also usually only do smoke for the first hour or so as I don't like a really heavy smoke. The natural basting of the ribs themselves prevents them from "drying out" for lack of a better term.

I know lots of people use foil but I like to have a little resistance when pulling the meat from the bone. I don't get that with foiled ribs, it usually just comes off in one big hunk.

Today's Ribs:

One and a half hours in a brine (membrane removed) - 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup rootbeer, 1/4 cup kosher salt, several grinds on the pepper mill, 2 tablespoons rub.

Started KK, just added some lump and oak to what was left from Sunday (plenty of lump and several chunks of wood.

Shut down the hat to a 1/4 turn with the inlet wheel closed when she got to 200.

Took the ribs out of the brine, rinsed, dried and rubbed them down, left out on counter for 1/2 hour.

Dome thermometer at 225, put ribs on, meat side down. It's been an hour, will check them at three hours.

DMAX

DMAX

Wow, thats a lot of smoke wood. Because of the low air flow needed to maintain fire / proper temp in a kk, you can get away with only a couple of chunks.

I don't use a mop at all since ceramics does not dry things out nearly as quick as other cookers. I don't use mustard to hold on the rub either; usually a touch of olive oil or just water (another possible reason your bark was heavy?).

It is great to experiment to find your own personal favorite and the wrongs along the way are still pretty tasty. Though I agree with Majestik & Sanny, you must be imagining all this cooking as we see no proof here..hehe!

-=Jasen=-

Okay' date=' DMAX. I think its time for a new thread. This one is titled "What am I doing wrong" and from those pictures, it doesn't look like you are doing anything wrong![/quote']

Thanks! They were delicious too. I still want to continue the experimentation though. I'd like a more intense flavor from the rub, less from the smoke (Drunk J) is I think on to something with the volume of wood I've been using. I used to have a side box smoker and used nothing but wood, but the efficiency is so much greater on the KK that the smoke, however much there is, has no where to go but into the meat.

But agreed, this thread is dead. :supz:

aV213tAA.jpg

Very important to include the photo of the independent observer. Yup. Academy Awards have PricewaterhouseCooper, you have Woofy. I think we know who is more reliable. Yup. Woofy! :grommit:

Nicely done, DMAX! :happy8:

Yeah, thats her "get the camera out of my face" look! WAY more interested in the ribs!

DMAX