hOTSAUCE

baked beans

I am making baked beans for a little get together this weekend. Pretty much making them on the stove top, except finishing them in a pot on the KK with smoke. My question is this. Is their any sense in doing this final step? I mean how much smoke can be absorbed if any by anything sitting in a pot with liquid? I am doing pulled pork also, would it not be better to add smoked meat to the beans and forget putting the pot of beans on the KK.

All suggestions welcomed, the correct answer could save my marriage, the wife and I had a heated :mad: discussion about this.

Adding a bit of the smoked meat to the beans will add lots of smokey goodness, for sure. I made some soup this past winter, and added a chunk of pulled pork from the freezer. The soup had a wonderful flavor!

No room to do the beans on the KK from the start? That would solve your problem. The KK is a wonderful "stove" for things like that. Cast iron dutch oven is your friend.

Well, I've not done beans on the cooker, but I've done paella, and I can say that the smoke absorbed quite nicely! It wasn't like chewing on a ham hock, but it was gently smokey. Very yummy.

If you left the beans on the cooker for longer than you would on the stove, why wouldn't they cook at the low/slow temp? You'd be cooking above 212, which is water boiling temp, right?

I do beans on the KK as well, just did some yesterday along with a nice ham. I put them in a crock, uncovered, right along side whatever else is cooking.

I smoked the ham for about 4 hours at 225 before bumping it up to 350 for an hour or so to finish it off and glaze it.

Liquid boils at 212, so anything at or above that will be like simmering your beans on the stove.

One tip, if you are using a crock or other vessel on the main grill during an indirect cook, push the beans to the outside edge. I push mine to the back left corner, which seems to be where my lump burns the hottest. This way, the beans are taking the higher heat that is rolling out from under the deflector, and up the side of the grill. If you are doing multiple butts, and space is an issue, you can always do a baking sheet on the upper grill, above the butts.

Why not smoke that pork on the "upper/sear grill" and put your beans directly underneath the smoking meat on the main grill? This way, you will get smoke and lots of delicious drippings right into your beans! Good stuff! And, when you explain how you did it to your friends, they will envy you because they probably cannot do the same! :D:D