LarryR

What are you grilling this weekend 4/17?

Well after a long day of little leauge and school carnival I'm finally in the backyard enjoying my 3rd glass of Zin bringing Hestia up to temp slowly (started with 5 lit briquettes and I'm at 150) to grill an artichoke, stuffed pork chop, a NY steak and a kung pao chicken sausage for my 8 yo son and I. Tomorrow, S & G chicken. What are you grilling/smoking?

birthday party

I did a pork butt and brisket for a birthday party. Won't bore you with my pork butt story, but the brisket...

I marinated the brisket, a big packer, for about six hours in soy sauce and worcestershire, in a kitchen trash bag, at room temp. Then took it out and rubbed it down with a rub named "Special Shit", then did the fast hot brisket method. Everyone raved it was the best brisket ever and I must agree! After quitting briskets for a time, I am back on the brisket train. Actually, I will make a comment on the pork butt. Although you can cook them with a fire as hot as 300, it does come out a little more tender if you do it a little lower and slower.

I'm nearing the end of a several week long stint with only Saturday and Sunday home, so most of my cooks lately have been something i could whip up quickly, with little or no planning. Thus, tonight was buffalo chicken fajita wraps.

Took some boneless, skinless breasts, oiled them, and sprinkled them with some hidden valley ranch dressing mix (the powdered stuff you use to make dressing). Grilled them, along with some red peppers and onion. Cut up the chicken, tossed it in buffalo sauce, and put it in a wrap with little lettuce, black beans, avocado, the grilled peppers/onions.

But I have been craving a longer cook. I am considering doing a couple pounds of pork loin or a whole chicken tomorrow.

I neglected to mention

I forgot to mention my SO is out of town so no listening to anyone bitch about how late we're eating. It's two hours since my original post and Hestia is sitting at 260, if I brought her up to temp any slower she'd be going in reverse. Sure am enjoying sharing a glass of wine and a Dr Pepper with my son on the patio watching her come-up to temp.

Re: I neglected to mention

I forgot to mention my SO is out of town so no listening to anyone bitch about how late we're eating. It's two hours since my original post and Hestia is sitting at 260' date=' if I brought her up to temp any slower she'd be going in reverse. Sure am enjoying sharing a glass of wine and a Dr Pepper with my son on the patio watching her come-up to temp.[/quote']

Now that's good living! It is SOOO much more relaxing to just hang out and relax while the grill does its thing, without hearing about "the kids have to eat" while knowing that its really the wife's schedule that is being inconvenienced. :P

I am glad to hear that I am not the only one who gets heat when dinner is not until 8-9:00. Maybe its a trait of the species and not just a mine. :twisted:

Dinner was awesome

Wow was that a great dinner. The pork chop was huge, 1.4 lbs and turned out so good. I ended-up throwing a small oak wine (red) stave on the fire, very nice. I've got to say I love cooking on the KK and I'm really starting to feel comfortable with her.

Here's a pic.of my pork chop, the rest of the pictures can be found HERE (no ribbing about the potatoes, I love those babies!)

th_StuffedChop5.jpg

Wow

Hey Larr, outstanding! Am I correct in assuming that this was a hot cook? I just put on a small "Organic" pork shoulder......... :) I am going to do it at 275F to see if it will cook a bit faster, the Doc does his up to 300F and has had good success............. :D

T Rex

Re: Wow

Am I correct in assuming that this was a hot cook?

T Rex

I was running her at 325, then removed the main grate and deflector, cranked her up a bit (not that high, maybe 450/500 dome) for a quick reverse sear.

Everything was done perfectly, my son's steak was Med. Rare (got to love an 8 yo who orders his steaks Med. Rare) and my chop was a light pink. Perfectly done, all with out my thermapen, just a drunken fat guy using the touch method :o Just re-read that comment, doesn't sound that great does it?

pork butt flexibility

Pork butts come out fine at hotter temps up to 300. But I have indeed found they pull a little easier if you cook them a little lower. But you don't have to obsess about keeping the temp exactly 225. I did one Saturday at 300 plus and it was finished in 3 hours! Tasted fine, no doubt, but a little tougher to pull than one done longer. My next one I'll do at 250.

Re: pork butt flexibility

Pork butts come out fine at hotter temps up to 300. But I have indeed found they pull a little easier if you cook them a little lower. But you don't have to obsess about keeping the temp exactly 225. I did one Saturday at 300 plus and it was finished in 3 hours! Tasted fine' date=' no doubt, but a little tougher to pull than one done longer. My next one I'll do at 250.[/quote']

Hey Doc, did one yesterday at 275F to 290F...... took six hours. Taste was very good but just like you said, it was more difficult to pull...and the outside bark was a bit tougher. I did one earlier at 225F and it took 19 hours for a 14 lb. shoulder.

T Rex

Pizza on Saturday, burgers on Sunday. Very busy weekend traveling to a plant sale in Napa, then preparing and planting our garden. The pizza was a perfect storm of everything that could go wrong when one is distracted (missing crust ingredients, new and very wrong cheese, ...) but I swear the KK could make Charlie Chaplin's shoes taste good. Burgers were better.