steelerguy

Wow! It's been 5 years...

Didn't actually realize it had been so long until I ordered a plug for the BBQ Guru port and a rib rack.  Since it was the 4th of July, decided to celebrate the 5 year anniversary of my KK by cooking a couple racks of ribs...and to be honest...I just wanted to use the new rib rack.

5  years later, here is what the KK looks like...pretty much just like the first day.

KKs.jpg

I had to clean the ashes out, not looking bad after 500+ cooks...

2s.jpg

Used a chimney to light a few pieces of lump and put them in some extruded coconut (don't need much for ribs, the stuff in the middle of the structure is hot the rest is from a previous grill).

3s.jpg

Got the BBQ Guru set up and now time to let everything come up to temp.

4s.jpg

Up to temp and ready to go, let's add some smoke to the ribs!

5s.jpg

Now it is time to kick back and enjoy some beer!  Today it is Long Trail IPA...and we had to take a mobile pic for Facebook.

4ths.jpg

Looking like things are just about done...

6s.jpg

Let's add some sauce, open up the dampers, and caramelize that sauce!

7s.jpg

At this point, I put the camera away.  I did throw some parboiled corn cobs on there and got some nice caramelization on them also, but was getting too hungry to take pictures!

Like I mentioned previously, I'd say I am well over 500 cooks on my KK.  Even in the Northeast I'd say I average about 2 cooks a week including vacations and winter (which really doesn't stop me much).  I do everything from low and slow pork shoulders or briskets to high temp steak sears or pizza cooks.  My KK can do it all.  I noticed my tile repair kit this weekend while setting up for my cook.  I have used it an exact 0 times,  The only issue I have had is the teak knob coming off the draft door (you may have noticed it missing in the pictures) and that is being taken care of as I type this.

You can certainly cook outside on something other than a KK and I am sure  you can make some good food.  I don't think it is possible to have such a great looking cooking instrument that can do so much, so well though.  I have thoroughly enjoyed my KK and plan on using it for years to come.  In fact, I am already planning my purchase of a hi-cap for a weekend place...all I need to do is find a nice little weekend place to grill/BBQ at first!

Thanks Dennis for making such a great product!

Corey

Definitely one of the better buying decisions I've ever made...for anything!

I agree completely, my KK is one of those "tools" I truly enjoy using.  It's operation is basically flawless and with the BBQ Guru, it is stupid easy to make great BBQ.  A few weeks ago I was smoking a Boston Butt to take over to a friends house for a party, the stall ended a little faster than I was anticipating, so from about 25 miles away from home while out on a bike ride I was able to dial the pit temp down to 215 from my phone.  Now that is awesome!

Thanks for the kudos.. and this post.

I have  tip.. When using the coco char cover the floor of the charcoal basket with small lump so the air does not take the path of least resistance and go around your charcoal.. Remember temp is airflow so we want to direct it thru the coco.

The rib rack was also designed to sit the other direction, front to rear. Will more uniformly fill the grill.