FotonDrv

Print Recipe Function

It sure would be nice to have a Print function when these great recipes are Posted.  Just hit a button in the Post to print that specific Post.

Is this possible?

Right now having to copy and paste and hopefully get the scale correct to put it into Word, or Page document is not always successful and a pita.  Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, dstr8 said:

Stephen, since you're a Mac guy ... I use Shift (+) Command (+) 4 ... for page print with crop.   Easy, quick & then can drag into Pages if needed.

One of the frustrations in doing that is the ability to get the Post completely on the page for the screen shot. I love screen shot and use it a lot but having to paste several shots together to capture a long Post/recipe, like the recent one handed recipe, has me stumped. 

1 hour ago, dstr8 said:

Ah...I see now after looking at her posted thread.   As you already know I don't think there's an easy way around trying to capture the entire post with photos, etc.

I was hoping Dennis might chime in with an addition to the format.  I know it might not be easy unless you are a software wizard but there have been several Posts that don't fit a page so the simple Print Screen just doesn't work, sadly.

3 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I just click and drag the text then paste into a word processor. Then you can edit out the pieces you don't need or make any other changes.

More often, I highlight the text and right-click and send it to Evernote.

Thanks for the suggestion CSCHAFF but I was hoping for a simple button on the Post to print what I am seeing.

4 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I just click and drag the text then paste into a word processor. Then you can edit out the pieces you don't need or make any other changes.

More often, I highlight the text and right-click and send it to Evernote.

I just tried the Copy Paste into a Pages Doc and the photo file numbers showed up and not the photos.

14 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

Thanks for the suggestion CSCHAFF but I was hoping for a simple button on the Post to print what I am seeing.

Understood. I prefer being able to edit before I print. 

13 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

I just tried the Copy Paste into a Pages Doc and the photo file numbers showed up and not the photos.

I'm not very Mac literate - are there different versions of Paste in Pages? For example, in Word, I can choose to Paste (everything comes over including pictures and the source formatting), Paste - Merge Formatting (everything comes over including pictures, but it changes the formatting to the format of the destination Word doc), or Paste Text-only (only text, no formatting.

I get all of those options when I right-click in the Word doc, not sure how to get them, or if they are available, in Pages??

If I get a chance today, I'll grab my wife's Mac and try to figure it out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, cschaaf said:

Try these:

Paste Command-V
Paste character or paragraph style Option-Command-V
Paste and match style of destination text Option-Shift-Command-V

There are 3 Mac users in my house right now and none of them use Pages, so they weren't sure.

I will give those suggestions a try.  If the other 3 Mac users don't use Pages then WHAT do they use??

47 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

Google Docs

I just tried Pasting the one handed cooks recipe into Google Docs, WOW, a 24 page document.  Not something I would want to print.

I have been fighting the need to buy an iPad but it is getting tougher to escape it.  Now there are temp controls for the iPad, Coffee Roasting programs and I can put automotive diagnostics onto it as well.  heavy sigh,,,, time to bite the bullet and get another i device.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

FWIW only:   I have two iPads, an original model and an iPad Air2 and almost never use them.   My '15 MBP does all my lifting; light and heavy.    FWIW2:   Anything related to Bluetooth remote temp relay pretty much sucks (glass, E glass, etc. will render BT all but useless based upon my use).    Hate to be a buzzkill for your iPad lust but ...   

Edited by dstr8

Ha!  The MBP is probably a better choice since it has a case and a cover so it is protected when not in use.  Blue Tooth was not the thought but WiFi was.  Also, having a portable platform to drag electronic files around the house so my wife could read the recipes and see the photos sure would save on printer ink and paper!  Man, I used to work part time in the forest and provided some wood for the local pulp mills and always figured that I was providing paper as well as lumber for homes.  I was, but the illusion of the electronics industry is going to save paper is pure nonsense!  Printers waste more paper, or should I say people who use them print stuff that has no business being on paper.  When I worked for a government agency that used 4 ft wide printer paper I was always amazed at coming into work to see a 600 ft roll of paper on the floor with letter sized email sent to the wrong printer!  Or a photo of a body part and another 600 ft of paper on the floor.  So my efforts at conscientious logging were a bust :-) 

Thanks for the thoughts Dan.

The One Handed post probably isn't the best example of something you would want to print in it's entirety. Susan gave us a ton of fun details. It wasn't a traditionally written recipe.

I pasted it into Word and it was 24 pages. A Print option from the forum would have had the same result.

This site double spaces after each Enter stroke, and Word sees that as a second Enter. Just deleting those lines got me down to 21 pages. 

Most of the images take up a full page, you could either resize or cut out some of them and get it down to a more manageable size. 

It also threw in a bunch of blank pages, I think due to the image size. And many pages had only a single line of text. Because the images were so large, they couldn't fit on that page and spilled over to their own page.

With some quick editing, deleting pictures that wouldn't be necessary to duplicate the recipe, and resizing the ones you might want to keep. I got it down to 3 pages. Eliminate the images and it's under a page of text.

For what it's worth, I don't print any recipes. I save them to Evernote and then use either my laptop, ipad, or iphone to view while I am cooking. I prefer the laptop out of the three.

The ipad and iphone are devices from my work and lock out after 5 minutes. I can't change the setting. So it's a pain when you are covered in whatever you are cooking and the screen goes dark and you need to enter a passcode to get it back on. 

PC user here. I brute force it. Copy/paste into Word and edit out all the extra line breaks, resize the pictures, etc. Sometimes it's a PITA, but it works. The upside is that if I want to share it via email, I can convert it to pdf - I have Adobe Acrobat integrated into Word. Slick. 

Forcing the Copy/Paste is what I have done for years with Word, Pages, etc.  When I was using AutoCad professionally we were adding photos with text to the drawing were were generating BEFORE AutoCad made it a normal practice.  It drove the iT guy crazy in that government facility but they realized that having a photo of a problem and an engineered solution was worth more than trying to get us to stop doing it.  It all took time and that is the name of the game, time.  And this leads me to the Print Post request for Dennis and his iT wizards.

I realize that chopping out the blank pages, extra spaces and headers/footers all is a good thing and is something to be said for the copy/paste thought.  But maybe another thought is when I Post a recipe of my own I need to be sure that is it concise and laid out in as short a format as possible.