DennisLinkletter

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Much ado about nothing, I think. 

The new KJ updates look great - and as a current KJ owner, I have no reason to expect they would give me those updates. I don't understand why anyone feels that way. The firebox and top vent will be available and KJ users will get them sooner or later anyway - I'm sure you'll be able to buy one. Or, you can just wait until your current FB cracks or your top vent peels and get new ones. Top vent is not covered in the current lifetime warranty, though, so you might need to buy that one if you want it. It's mostly a cosmetic update anyway.

The hinge is a different issue, it required a change in the body. Less likely, but old users can get the upgrade if their shell cracks. 

If I were in kamado-buying mode, I would have done research. That research should have easily lead me to the fact that KJ was planning big updates on their next model year. Then I would have had to make the choice to buy now or wait. If I bought now, there is no way I would have expected to get the old model essentially replaced by the new one when it came out.

Now, if they stopped replacing fireboxes for legacy users, that would be a different story. That would be something to be angry about.

I am also not reading the same into Bobby's messaging that the KJ will be like the iPhone where users will need to buy a new one every year. The message I get is that he feels they should not be satisfied with trying to stick to the status quo. Sometimes, upgrading parts will be easily backwards compatible. Sometimes they won't. I don't see it as a "Sorry for your luck" message. I thought is 'Craigslist' trade-in program was a joke... and I thought it was funny.

I'm not sure why they felt they had to put tiles on one as a test, but it sounds like they aren't moving forward (and sounds like they never had plans of even moving forward) - so, this could actually help KK. Someone seeing that tiled KJ might think, "Wow, I love the tiled look". Do a Google search for 'tiled kamado' and see where they are likely to browse. ;)

Edited by cschaaf
  • Like 1

Being that I am new the Kamado game and hearing such good things about Kamado Joe and I don't yet own a KK I'm offended! Don't copycat if you can't make it better and if you didn't like the way the tiles look why go through all the trouble of making a prototype, I call BS on that!! Going thru the photos of old KK from 8 years ago those are better than today KJ's and with the steady improvements that Dennis has made goes to show he hasn't rested on old acclaim!

When I decided to upgrade to a larger Kamado KJ was one I was seriously considering to get and everyone who has one don't get offended but I would not own one now don't like people or companys that smile in your face and go behind your back to discredit you like they didn't know they were actually doing that. Just my 2 cents on this subject.

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque

I'm not interested in the lifetime warranty it's great to have but is anyone going to be around in 20 years to get it .it was a good question though by the OP bobbys response was a good one thinking about kamado Joe they have taken off really well all over the world .which is a great achievement .they caught the big green egg sleeping in its own glory .I got me thinking though I bought Ora knowing it's over engineered built like the old days made to last a life time Dennis is the only one that makes them if he don't make it to 120 what do we do lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

I bought Ora knowing it's over engineered built like the old days made to last a life time

Same here. We have a simple philosophy around our house...Only cry once. Meaning cry once while you're spending the big bucks to get the best available. We always buy the warranties but hope we never need to use them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm like that rather pay the bit extra if I can especially if I know it's going to last I'm pretty sure my ashes are going to get cooked up on Ora lol

I don't want to see that cook!

And yes, good response by Bobby. Still much rather buy once and own the best, but they're definitely making the right moves to take on BGE. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Paul said:

Same here. We have a simple philosophy around our house...Only cry once. Meaning cry once while you're spending the big bucks to get the best available. We always buy the warranties but hope we never need to use them.

That's my father's philosophy buy the best the first time around, he didn't mind when the price of those things would drop his thoughts was so I still was ahead of the game. My mother's brothers would mess with him because he would buy only German cars, and his response to them was when American car companies start making better cars he would buy them. He now owns a GMC truck-:)

Garvin

Edited by Garvinque

7 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm like that rather pay the bit extra if I can especially if I know it's going to last I'm pretty sure my ashes are going to get cooked up on Ora lol

You would need to buy the new 42 inch Komodo and tell your children this is for me to be cemented in:-D

Garvin

• Like 2