Kupermanp

Smoking Gun and other setup questions

After a long delay due to construction I finally have my komodo in place.  Looks great.  I have a couple of quick questions before I fire it up

1) It looks like there are several heat shields in the crate but my research suggests I don't need it.  I can either use the basket splitter and cook on the indirect side or I can wrap a grate in foil.

2) How do you assemble and use (ignite and attach) the smoke gun.  Mine did not come with any instructions and the website only has a 17 second video showing it in action

3) How do you get activated for the owners forum.  I sent my user id but I don't seen any new areas to the forum

Thanks

P

• Like 3

Welcome to the Obsession, Kupermanp! Pics of the grill will be very welcomed here! 

1) I assume that you have a BB 32" from your description of multiple shields?? But, you are correct - MOST of us don't use the big heat deflector stones and just go with an aluminum drip pan or a sheet of foil, as you noted. 

2) Does your KK have separate ports on the side for the Guru (wooden nob) and for the smoking gun (metal plug) OR, just the Guru port? The smoking gun attaches differently depending on which style you have? Did yours come with the aquarium air pump? I think Dennis' is including one in the recent shipments. If not, then you'll need to go to a pet store and get one, along with the tubing for it. The only tricky part of assembly is the internal tube should be screen side down to prevent ash from clogging it up during use. As far as lighting goes, most of us have found that wood pellets work better than chips in the smoker. Fill the tube up to just above the side holes and internal tube, drop a small, lit, piece of charcoal on top of the pellets, then add more pellets on top. If that doesn't catch right away, you can always hit it from the side holes with a torch. Turn on the air pump and you're off to the races.

3) Dennis will add you to the Owners area of the Forum. Send him an email or call him.

Edited by tony b
  • Like 2

Tony,

Thanks for the reply.  I do indeed have a 32" and I have the smoker port as I had to clarify that prior to ordering the gun.  The gun came with the aquarium pump.  If I have trouble I'll let you know but I'm hoping its straight forward enough.

P

PS-I'll get some pics up soon

• Like 2

Sorry that I can't help more with the install, but I have an older 23" with the single Guru port. The style of the smoker guns are different in how they attach to the KK. I seem to recall that someone with the newer style, has posted pics here on the Forum. Try using the search tool and see if you can locate them?

• Like 1

Got the gun working.  For those who are curious

Main came in several parts

• bottom
  • Top (with handle labelled "hot")
  • Main body (metallic cylinder)
  • Smoking port (Thicker tube with mesh)
  • Aquarium pump adapter

To assemble

1.  Twist lock the bottom to the body
  2. Place the smoking port through the larger hole in the bracket about 3" from the bottom and into the body mesh side down.  This is also locked in place on the back wall with a twist
  3. Screw the pump adapter into the nut on the back side of the body
  4. attach the pump tubing to the adapter

I did not light mine as I need to get a extension cord for the pump but it looks "right" to me.  I follow with some pics when I'm sure its working

P

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Got the gun working.  For those who are curious
Main came in several parts
  • bottom
  • Top (with handle labelled "hot")
  • Main body (metallic cylinder)
  • Smoking port (Thicker tube with mesh)
  • Aquarium pump adapter
To assemble
  1.  Twist lock the bottom to the body
  2. Place the smoking port through the larger hole in the bracket about 3" from the bottom and into the body mesh side down.  This is also locked in place on the back wall with a twist
  3. Screw the pump adapter into the nut on the back side of the body
  4. attach the pump tubing to the adapter

I did not light mine as I need to get a extension cord for the pump but it looks "right" to me.  I follow with some pics when I'm sure its working

P

Are you looking to cold smoke something, or just adding more smoke to a cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Basher said:

Are you looking to cold smoke something, or just adding more smoke to a cook?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both.  My son is into cheese and I'd like to try smoking that as well as trying my hand at bacon and salmon.  I like my brisket smoky and I was thinking I might be able to give steaks a little intense smoke before I do a sear.  I obviously haven't played with it but I'm hoping you can control the quantity of smoke a little better with the gun vs tossing random chunks in the fire.  Pellets are also plentiful and cheap fuel

K

• Like 1