David Chang

Roasted Squab (chinese style)

Roasted squab on the KK. First run on the rotisserie. 

This dish is very popular in Hk restaurants and with my in-laws. I don't eat squab, but I will cook it on the kamado if the occasion arises. 

If you've never had squab, it's all dark meat, very juicy due to the high fat content in the skin. But kind of gamey. 

The recipe is a marinade of dark and light soy sauce, salt, sugar, sesame oil, chicken powder, corn starch. No measurements, just eyeball and adjust to taste. Clean the squab and let it marinade overnight. Roast it like chicken. 400f+ You can add smoke, but I didn't. 

image.thumb.png.6e5bfd98e3a7916f77c8908054a79e3c.png

image.thumb.png.d895c0b661d7968b39ecb04918844ef5.png

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, C6Bill said:

That looks great !!!! I wish I could split the 32 fire box front to back 

yeah that was why i asked how to setup coals for a rotisserie if kk charcoal splitters run vertically. i usually bank coals along the spit, and the splitter plate is just enough to do that, even if it's only holding on one side. 

• Like 1

Check the Forum threads. Memory fails me, but someone was using aluminum foil (or a cheap drip AL pan) to bank their coals in the back for roti cooks, as the basket splitter in the larger grills only runs front-to-back. Us folks with 23" have a round charcoal basket and we can position our basket splitter in any direction that we want. 

• Like 2