I have a whole uncured ham from a pig we had butchered this past fall. I sawed it in half today so it is a bit more managable. Now, it's time to cure it. 

Do any of you have a good recipe and instructions for curing a ham? Should I be injecting the brine/cure into the meat? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

On 3/19/2024 at 7:39 AM, Cheesehead_Griller said:

I have a whole uncured ham from a pig we had butchered this past fall. I sawed it in half today so it is a bit more managable. Now, it's time to cure it. 

Do any of you have a good recipe and instructions for curing a ham? Should I be injecting the brine/cure into the meat? Any tips would be much appreciated. Thanks! 

i have never cured whole hams, but we are talking about cooked hams like jambon de paris or prosciutto cotto right?

On 3/18/2024 at 7:39 PM, Cheesehead_Griller said:

Some years ago we smoked a piece of pork that we first brined for several days.  Came out well.  Right in the middle next to the bone the curing liquid didn't quite penetrate but it tasted fine.  That suggests injecting brine in addition to soaking could be a good thing to do.  I'll see if I can find the brine recipe we used.  (Probably nothing fancy -water, salt, sugar, curing salt)

I ended up just brining the ham for two days instead of curing it. Sliced it up for soup and sandwiches. I requested the butcher leave the ham whole which was a mistake. Next time I'll have him quarter it to make the process a bit more manageable. Trying to work with a 20lb ham isn't all that easy. 

• Like 3

On 3/20/2024 at 11:33 AM, John T said:

Some years ago we smoked a piece of pork that we first brined for several days.  Came out well.  Right in the middle next to the bone the curing liquid didn't quite penetrate but it tasted fine.  That suggests injecting brine in addition to soaking could be a good thing to do.  I'll see if I can find the brine recipe we used.  (Probably nothing fancy -water, salt, sugar, curing salt)

Late, but for future reference, we found the piece of paper with the brine recipe we used: 

2 liters water
3/4 cup kosher salt
1 cup brown sugar
curing salt-- 1 tsp/5 pounds of ham