Turtle

Rib cook for 18 hours??

I was talking the other day with a friend who is a BBQ nut (I say that in the kindest way :D ).

He travels a lot and when on his trips to different states he thinks nothing of driving five hours one way just to get to a famous BBQ joint. He also collects the sauces of joints from all over the country--he has a whole room in his house dedicated to showcasing his extensive collection of sauces.

But here is the question for our expert chefs here on the board....

Have any of you ever done ribs indirect at 180 degrees for 18 hours? This guys swares it is the only way. Personally I am happy with the 6 hour method at 250. What do the experts think??

Re: Rib cook for 18 hours??

... Personally I am happy with the 6 hour method at 350. What do the experts think??

Yeah, me too :shock: 18 hours sounds like overkill times 3 :D I don't doubt they are good, but I doubt they are 3 times as good. I can't imagine waiting an extra 12 hours for that benefit...but I would come over to his house and try them out. :D

I just had a half rack of my 6 hour ribs today, these that were foodsavered and microwaved in the bag. Dang good my friend. And since today is Chubby's birthday, he got the bones and one rib with the meat still on it. And he also got a full bag of pulled pork. He's sleeping it off on the porch now.

Happy birthday, Chubby! :) He's 2 or 3 now?

Livvy will be 12 in 2 weeks. Good doggies.

Chubby is the big "1" (1 year old) today. Here he is after sleeping off a large meal. His tummy is prolly very full still :oops:

100_1862.jpg

Here's a pic after our sod was put in yesterday. (and walkway a week or 2 ago)

100_1863.jpg

And here are the baby birds that were born and raised on the back side of our garage. They recently flew the coop.

100_1856.jpg

Happy B-day Chubby,

Nice looking birthday boy there Curly, nice lookin grass and a very nice looking cabin as well.

I just noticed something in the first post from Turtle.

ribs (I assume baby backs)/6hours/@350

is 350 correct ? I've been doing 250 and the ribs are very tasty but don't completely want to fall off the bone. They seem like the need to go longer.

Do I just need to get the dome temp up to 350 instead of 250 ?

thanks

jb

Happy B-day Chubby,

Nice looking birthday boy there Curly, nice lookin grass and a very nice looking cabin as well.

I just noticed something in the first post from Turtle.

ribs (I assume baby backs)/6hours/@350

is 350 correct ? I've been doing 250 and the ribs are very tasty but don't completely want to fall off the bone. They seem like the need to go longer.

Do I just need to get the dome temp up to 350 instead of 250 ?

thanks

jb

No, 250 is correct. 6 hrs at 350 would be burnt shoe leather :shock:

My biggest cook - 5 butts, 10 slabs

On my old K7 I just did 5 shoulders (about 8 lbs each) and 10 slabs at once. I did the shoulders on the main grill with a 95% coverage drip pan made of a couple layers of heavy duty foil. Did them for 12 hours, took them out to re-inject, add lump then put back in with the 10 slabs on the upper grill. Doubt you could do that quantity on a the OTB shape and its about full on a round K-type. Those slabs could have stayed longer than the 6 hours I had before I needed to take them off since they were so insulated if you will from the coals. The more indirect - obviously - the longer they can go. If you believe that the smoke either only takes for the first hour or so, or that it stops once internal temp reaches say 140* - and there are advocates of both, then you might have a different reasons for cooking longer. I try for very indirect for 6 hours - 250* to 300*. I'm not sure I see why, all things considered, you'd want to do them longer. I favor "coming off the bone" rather than falling off the bone - if you want falling off the bone you can use an old white electric roasting pan. I'd think if you leave them on long enough at 250* regardless if you've got a K or KK, will eventually or risk, certainly by 18 hours, drying them out. But, like I said, for what reason? I agree that they certainly won't be 3 times better than 6 hours.

So its about 22 1/2" main grill - probably advertised as 23". On the upper bracket I use a 18" and obviously 10 slabs won't fit flat on there and they hang off a little, but don't hit the sides of the dome. I believe with enough smoke you can get by overlapping if you have to, and I had to. I have gotten 10 shoulders at once using both main and upper, but its tight and while there are opinions that they need space - if you don't have room, they don't need it that bad, after 18 hours you can shift them once or twice. The nice thing about concrete/ceramic is that the body retains so much heat that our grills return to temp pretty quickly. I quit watching for the BBQ police to come get me for opening the lid too much a while back.

IMHO, a lot of BBQ universal truths aren't necessarily true, but ideal situations promulgated by those that are just a little OCD ;) Lucky for us that pass out during low and slows. Or I guess I could say I let mine spike on purpose to get that bark just right.