This is product I stumbled over while searching for a new flavor to add to ribs other than the traditional rubs we use. It involves marinating for a few days with a baste of this product so the flavors can migrate and the salts can work to pull a bit of water out of the meat while sealed in a vacum bag. The technique and demonstration video/cook came from Pitmaster X on Youtube with a search definition into "ribs made with Ketjap Manis."  I've made Korean ribs before and liked the results for something different, they do have similarities and was wondering what experience anyone has had with this sauce in applications. So historically this sauce has it's origin in the Thailand where many people contributed in making their own version of this sweet soy sauce using personal recipes. It flourished for some time until as always larger manufactures cornered the market and forced these smaller providers out. This particular one displayed is made in Denmark. Having sugar in the mix presents a small obstacle while cooking in regards to the sugars darkening and/or burning if your heat is too high. The preparation does require a basting finish sauce not very hard too make that sounds very tasty. So...what say you, what you think.
   The shears are just a local unexpected find at a 2nd hand/antique store, they look and work like new. I thought chicken bone instantly when seeing these and they are basically new sharp working condition, great to remove the backbone. They fold up, have additional tools as a leather man tool, nice find. 

DSCF4240.JPG

DSCF4241.JPG

Edited by Tyrus

yeah, ketjap manis is indonesian. my current and previous helpers all use it. it's basically the #1 seasoning in indonesia. they don't use chinese soy sauce, but use ketjap manis instead. 

in singapore/malaysia, they have hainese chicken dark sauce, which is even thicker. (bottle on the left)

the chinese grocery will also have a version of thick soy sauce, but it's just regular soy sauce with starch thickner. we don't have this because it's usually gross..

edit: i just skimmed through the pitmaster x ketjap video. indonesia has a big influence in the netherlands.. lots of indo culture there. 

image.thumb.png.720c27936aa507576b15c0affda25c8f.png

Edited by David Chang
  • Like 2