moebutt

"EPIC" 12 Hour Smoked Pork Butt (Butterflied)

My New Preferred KK Smoking Technique On Long Cooks:

Using the Half-Basket Splitter, I now bury one wood split under 12-14 pieces of CocoChar (that's all it ever takes for a 12-16 hour smoke!😲) and once the CocoChar's ignited and burning good I just place one larger wood split right on top of the stack. It may seem unorthodox, but I've done this "numerous" times now on my Ultimate 23" and the result consistently rivals any "Offset" smoked beef or pork I've "ever" had-and I've had A LOT, lol-with none of the "constant fire management" headaches of an Offset...

Once temps locked in (rock solid 250 degrees for 12 hours no problem using the "pinhole" intake opening and top exhaust barely open, so there's almost no airflow required) it seems the KK really is burning just the wood splits for it's main fuel source (like an Offset) because the smoking wood is all but gone at the end but a surprising amount of "useable" CocoChar always remains, end result being that "OMG" deep, clean and delicious "Offset Smokey" flavor and bark I love without the smoke being overpowering at all...BTW: I also no longer wait for my smoke to go "completely" clean to put on the proteins (see "Jirby" of Goldee's BBQ on youtube) but just when it's starting to go opaque and smelling great (the smoke goes fully clean and near invisible translucent blue after about 45min to 1 hour like clockwork on the KK every time.)😊

Hope someone else tries this method on their KK, love some feedback-and to make sure I'm not crazy, lol!πŸ‘πŸ™πŸ˜Š

thumbnail_IMG_6476.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6478.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6412.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6501.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6286.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6289.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6293.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6502.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6505.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_6475.jpg

Edited by moebutt
  • Like 5

That's a lot wood moebutt, I've seen others use more, well in other cookers and with different meats. I've always sat back on someone else's interpretation of how much wood should be introduced into the fire. Alot of smoke will create additional color and that's good, it creates flavor, but that's subjective. It may be like me saying I'm going to add 10% more alcohol to my gas to get better results in my car, it may or may not work.Β  I like it though, more smoke to me means better BBQ if done right. In a slow KK smoke is either a friend or an enemy, I do subscribe to your thought, I have thrown chunks on here and there and waited until the smoke clears. I have to agree, playing center field you have to cover a lot of space. Great cook

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Tyrus said:

That's a lot wood moebutt, I've seen others use more, well in other cookers and with different meats. I've always sat back on someone else's interpretation of how much wood should be introduced into the fire. Alot of smoke will create additional color and that's good, it creates flavor, but that's subjective. It may be like me saying I'm going to add 10% more alcohol to my gas to get better results in my car, it may or may not work.Β  I like it though, more smoke to me means better BBQ if done right. In a slow KK smoke is either a friend or an enemy, I do subscribe to your thought, I have thrown chunks on here and there and waited until the smoke clears. I have to agree, playing center field you have to cover a lot of space. Great cook

Thanks, smoke flavor is subjective indeedπŸ‘, now obviously I wouldn't suggest anyone try this method on a short cook of a few hours-just bury a nice sized chunk or two under your charcoal and you'll get what you need-but having done quite a bit of experimentation for my long "10+ hour"Β KK cooks (brisket, beef dino-ribs or pork butts), I simply love the deep, smokey offset flavor I get every time using this smoking technique-and my family and my grilling buddies at work who keep eating it do too, lol.πŸ™πŸ˜Š

Edited by moebutt
  • Like 3