GSWHoops

Charcoal at Costco

I just got back from Costco and they had lump charcoal there. I'd never seen lump there before, only Kingsford. I'm on my last bag of Royal Oak, so I grabbed 6 bags (120 lbs). Haven't had a chance to open it up yet so I don't know what it looks like. I was just happy to have a place that had a big huge stack of lump charcoal close to my house. It was a little under $10 for a 20 lb sack.

Anyone else seen this before? Is this something new or just new to my area?

I use the extruded coconut stuff for overnight cooks, but I like using the regular stuff for steaks, burgers, things like that.

I'll have to check mine now. Maybe they have Costco helicopters and when they see a KK in a yard they start stocking it? I never noticed the Cowboy in my Lowes until recently either so perhaps it's becoming more en vogue in recent years.

Is it Kirkland Signature brand? If so, I'm curious if there are any markings on it to indicate where they get it from. I'm guessing it may be Kingsford Lump, but we can hope for Royal Oak. Actually we can REALLY hope that Dennis is one step ahead of where we thought with his distribution channel :D

Ok, I had to open up a bag to see what was inside. It's the Kirkland brand, but from the bag, I couldn't tell where exactly it comes from. But inside, it looks a lot like Royal Oak.

I really hope this is something that they decide to stock every summer. A couple of years ago, I sent in a request on their website that they sell lump charcoal. I'm glad someone finally listened to me!

Man, I wish we had a Costco around here!! All we have is a Sam's and they SUCK!

I also hope your charcoal does not turn out to be the like Kingsford brand lump as that was the worst stuff I even used. I actually called them and asked for a refund it was so bad (for high temps, never bothered trying for lower temps). Check out Naked Whiz review, the volcano comment was from me - hehe.

-=Jasen=-

Oh by the way, the first part of the UPC is the same one that's on my cranberry juice.

And no, it's not Royal Oak cranberry juice :)

But is the juice easy to light? And does it give a flavor to your Q? :wink:

Well, when I put it in the chimney starter, I just end up with a wad of purple newspaper.

I just tried the charcoal last night for pizzas. Worked great! I used one chimney starter's worth and was able to heat up the cooker for an hour and cook 3 pizzas. It was easy to light. The chunks seemed to be good sized too. I'm still at the top of the bag so I don't know how much dust is down there, but when I move the bag around, it doesn't sound like much. One nice thing is that almost all of the bags at Costco were in great shape. No busted up, mangled bags. I was able to easily find 6 bags that didn't have any holes or dings on them.

I figure that it's a little more charcoal than I'll use in a year. So if it's seasonal, I'll have enough to last until it comes around again next year.

Plus I have a truck now and I like to load stuff in the back just because I can. Couldn't do that in my old convertible.

I figure that it's a little more charcoal than I'll use in a year.

:shock::shock: That's it - turn in your KK. We will re-allocate it to someone who will put it to use. :wink::wink: I'll bet DJ has burned 60 pounds in the last week or so.... but he does need to catch his butt up to what his mouth has been promising for the last 9 months!!

I buy 4 to 6 bags at a time and I'm probably on my 4th or 5th load. I know I don't Q as often as some, but I dooo like to do the pizza (high fuel use)

:shock::shock: That's it - turn in your KK. We will re-allocate it to someone who will put it to use. :wink::wink: I'll bet DJ has burned 60 pounds in the last week or so.... but he does need to catch his butt up to what his mouth has been promising for the last 9 months!!

I buy 4 to 6 bags at a time and I'm probably on my 4th or 5th load. I know I don't Q as often as some, but I dooo like to do the pizza (high fuel use)

Close, almost 40 lbs!!! Will surpass that this weekend! :D

-=Jasen=-

Close, almost 40 lbs!!! Will surpass that this weekend! :D

-=Jasen=-

Dat's my boy!