Amen. Tsunami Spin is my absolute favorite! And you are supporting one of the nicest fella's in the BBQ Universe when you buy DP rubs.

Cool, I ordered from them last night...again. I have tried the Swamp Venom (favorite so far) and the Dizzy Dust (also good). Last night I ordered two more Swamp Venom bottles, another Dizzy Dust and trying the Tsunami Spin and Raising the Steaks for the first time.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Thanks

Took the forum advice and just ordered five different ones. I guess I need to take a vacation and do some cooking!

John

That is what I did! Been off since June first and go back July 6th. Sadly that is next week...oh well, my vacation time resets October 1, hehehe!

You will love the Dizzy Pig!

-=Jasen=-

Fast Shipping!

Wow, I already recieved my stuff and just in time for a weekend of grilling!

Ok, I am doing a rotis chicken and I am deciding between the Firewalk Jerk season and the Tsunami Spin??? Any experience suggestions here would be appreciated? I also thought about mixing some of the season (whichever I decide on) with touch of oil and broth for injecting since I did not brine it!

-=Jasen=-

My only issue with Dizzy is that lotta them are HOT. With my last order, I suggested maybe putting a heat index on the rubs, so the novice could figger out how many fire extinguishers to have on hand at the supper table.

Really hot? Not at all hot? Kick in the butt? :)

I keep getting too liberal with "blow the top of your head off" spicy and finding out too late. :(

OK Sanny' date=' as a spicy food fan that sold me. Forget the little sample sizes, I dove in with the 10-pack gift set. :lol:[/quote']Glad I could help. :wink:

I keep steering you to good stuff, JD, so far so good!

Shaking the Tree isn't hot. And there's the mapley sweet one that isn't, too. I forget which one that is. Yummy though.

So why are these guys using Eggs to do contest BBQ?

I am a rub minimalist but love ordering on line and getting stuff in the mail so will try some of these. Probably the Tsunami and Coarse Dust.

I was working on a post where I was wondering out loud what cooker I'd get to do 100 LB plus at a time and was about to say that while it may be heresy in these parts, if you couldn't get contest quality BBQ from anything but a ceramic grill, they'd all be using them at contests...then I go on their site and these guys ARE using Eggs. Eggs, which are smaller, lighter than either my K7 or KK's, would be my third choice. Since I have really no serious issues with my K7 unless I was floating in dough like a lot of those that spend $1500 plus on a grill, I wouldn't buy an Egg, I'd buy a KK. I suppose though if your sponsor gives you the grills then you'd figure out away to haul them around, but I imagine hauling 4 or five Eggs is much easier than the same number of KK's. While I've never been to any large contests, and watched a lot of them on the tube, this is the first I've seen of komoda style grill being used in contests.

So if I'm answering my own question - three answers - they got then free, RJ isn't making any good K's anymore, and real ceramics came after they got their Eggs.

As long as I'm adding unsolicited opinion, I have thought for a long time that those of us that are competent on our Ks and KKs generally produce near contest quality ribs and shoulder. I can't speak for you, but I think brisket is by far the hardest and have never done one I was proud of, but I am a very harsh self critic. Further, blind box is the only fair way to judge, especially for teams that can't afford a fancy booth and all the other trappings that go along with judge-in -booth competitions. And finally, I guess rubs and sauces are really more important to judges than to me. I guess though if you had a competition category for no rub, no sauce, it would be really hard to pick a winner, but it would really be interesting to see if grill type or temp/time or wood type or meat quality would produce a different type competition.

;) I meant that as a humorous reference to K's not actually being ceramic. My understanding that KK's are relatively new and kind of claim to be the real ceramic vs RJ's Ks being concrete, can't find the quotes right now. Eggs, say that they are ceramic, but they look to be 1" thick versus 2" of more on either K or KK.

I had thought that KK's came on the scene only in the last couple years where pics of the Dizzy Pig team using Eggs in 2002 before I thought that KK's hit the market.

Maybe the main point is that if you're a new team and a sponsor is going to give you 5 grills (who knows maybe they did not get them free) would you say no? I was just surprised to see someone using a kamado type grill on the circuit. If you're going to compete and buy a grill(s), I don;t see teams buying a fleet of ceramic and that can't be ONLY because they are too heavy. You must be able to win contests with something else. Maybe something else is actually better? Maybe all you need is an old Brinkman two chamber? Hell, (not sure that's allowed) maybe all you need is a tin cylinder water pan smoker.....well, that might be taking it a little to far ;)