I might point out that the magnet test is not a guarantee of SS or not as lower grades of SS will stick to a magnet. So I would not want to give the impression that is a 100% sure test. But that coupled with the fact the lock washer on the nut is covered in rust along with my blade having rust spots is a good indication.

I am willing to bet someone pulled a fast one here and either sold the company inferior metal. I find it very odd that the nut was non-magnetic, yet the lockwasher was not (and they are attached together). The product seems very nicely built and I seriously doubt the Grill Floss company would intentionally put something that will rust on their product.

-=Jasen=-

Well, I think this pics sums it up! Now let's see how the manufacturer handles it. Remember, I just received this thing last Monday and did not even put it outside or use it till Tuesday. I have since cleaned it once with a SS brush, forgot to take pics, left it out again till today and this is were we are.

-=Jasen=-

dscn1339mediumjs6.jpg

Reply from GrillFloss

I sent an email over the weekend asking about the magnet and rusting. I got a reply from Mike at grillfloss today.

Here is an excerpt of the reply:

...I can send you a new cleaning head and some hardware. The cleaning head we know use is made with a full hard stainless steel.

All of the Komodo users have been really great fans of the Grillfloss and it is great to be associated with such a nice group of grillers, with great grills. If you or any others are having problems with their cleaning head or hardware we'll send you guys some new replacements.

You can put the cleaning head and hardware in a standard envelope and mail it like a letter, postage is only one stamp.

So there you have it...Stuff happens, but its the way it gets handled that makes the difference. Grillfloss is showing the type of CS we have gotten used to at KK.

Re: Reply from GrillFloss

I sent an email over the weekend asking about the magnet and rusting. I got a reply from Mike at grillfloss today.

Here is an excerpt of the reply:

...I can send you a new cleaning head and some hardware. The cleaning head we know use is made with a full hard stainless steel.

All of the Komodo users have been really great fans of the Grillfloss and it is great to be associated with such a nice group of grillers, with great grills. If you or any others are having problems with their cleaning head or hardware we'll send you guys some new replacements.

You can put the cleaning head and hardware in a standard envelope and mail it like a letter, postage is only one stamp.

So there you have it...Stuff happens, but its the way it gets handled that makes the difference. Grillfloss is showing the type of CS we have gotten used to at KK.

That was a bit confusing to me? They are going to want us to mail back the rusted stuff? Eh, how the hell is that scraper head going to fit in a standard envelope (unless you smash it flat - as it has a 90 degree head on it) and I find it hard to believe it will be one stamp after I just mailed a bunch of polder plugs, which weigh less, yet cost a lot more than that to mail. Not to mention I need a whole new grill floss as there is no way to clean all the rust out of the flattened SS tube now.

FYI, I sent the pics last night to House of Fire and I am waiting to here back from them.

-=Jasen=-

Very Cool!

Very cool, now this is the kinda response and customer service expected from a good company and give them the thumbs up again!!

-=Jasen=-

Hi Jasen,

Send us your address and we'll send you a new Grillfloss. This should

not have happen to the product. I'll look into this problem. Thanks

for let use know about the rust issue.

Thanks,

Mike

--

Mike Persichina

Grillfloss - Mpact Products

2040 South Graylock Ave.

Monterey Park, CA 91754

phone: 310-872-0142

fax: 509-272-0142

www.grillfloss.com

New Grill Floss Arrived!

Well, I received my new Grill Floss today. Very pleased as this one is a lot different than the first one. The scraper head (which was my main concern) is definitely SS this time. So, we are back to a thumbs up rating again!!

Thanks Mike @ Grill Floss!

-=Jasen=-

Just out of curiosity' date=' what does the new one do on the magnet test?[/quote']

Lower grade SS is magnetic, but not nearly as strong as carbon steel. While you can tell a slight attraction to the magnet, it is nothing like the first scraper blade I received. There is also a different finish on the scraper and the handle than the first one (more of a brushed SS rather than the polished look of the first). The only thing on the new grill floss that has a strong magnetic pull is the lock washer on the back of the nut. Everything else is either non-magnetic or very weak.

-=Jasen=-

Well then' date=' in the pic ofthe scrapers, the openings on the 3/8 side are much bigger than the closed area, thats why I dont think those particular scrapers will work.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree, that would not fit.

-=Jasen=-

BZZZZT - wrong :bootyshake::kermit:

It's no Grill Floss, but it does make a real nice ash scraper!!

IMG_0607.jpg

Well then' date=' in the pic ofthe scrapers, the openings on the 3/8 side are much bigger than the closed area, thats why I dont think those particular scrapers will work.[/quote']

Yeah, I agree, that would not fit.

-=Jasen=-

Is it actually touching anywhere? hehe Just kidding - looks nice.

-=Jasen=-

IMG_0607.jpg

And back scratcher,snake killer,Zen garden rake,croquet mallet,pool cue bridge,gutter rake,garden hoe,bulb planter,meat tenderizer,shoe scraper,floor adhesive spreader,paint stirrer,dog beater,nail puller...

there are 1001 uses for it! :contract:

Received mine direct this week, and have to chime in and agree - Grillfloss is a great product! I was pretty suspicious that anything so simple could work so well, but it took on some pretty burned-on gunk with aplomb - stuff that my brass bristled brush (now discarded) didn't make a dent in.