WoodieB

How many people use temp control devices?

Just curious.

Although I had great success with the first overnight cook on my KK without using a temp control device like the BBQGuru, Stoker, et al, their popularity with the many "seasoned" cooks on this forum makes me wonder if I'm missing out by not having one. So I'd like a show of hands and opinions.

How many people use them, and why. Have you had a bad experience doing a low & slow on a KK without one? Fire go out, temp overshoot?

Let's hear it.

Thanks,

Woodie

I have had my low and slow fire go out on two different cooks during the night. Maybe it was because I didn't stack the lump all nice and pretty according to the sizes of each piece (I just pour it out of the bag and let chance take over, rather than the "minion method" of artful pyres.)

With the Guru, and something other than Cowboy, my temp will stick +/- one degree for over twenty four hours.

Well, right now we're running almost 2-1 with 7 votes in for the Guru or similar. But like Porkchop & Curly, I really enjoy the "analog" nature of cruising by the KK, checking the temp, maybe making a minute adjustment, then getting another beer. Right now I think I'll stay with manual control, but who knows, some day another gadget might be fun.

Keep em' coming!

I dunno, seems like the heat being radiated by the dome of a well heat-soaked KK would make a rotis kind of redundant. If I'm going to add a gadget, it'll be a Guru first. But I'm going to do a few more low & slow cooks to see if they all go as well as the first one.

I really don't mind going to bed late & getting up early. When I'm on my two week hitch at work, my sleep schedule is extremely erratic. For instance, I got to bed at about 5:00 this morning, and am up at 8:00 because we're moving the rig today. Sometime this afternoon I'll get a couple hour nap. In between is a lot of fresh ground, fresh brewed STRONG coffee.

I dunno' date=' seems like the heat being radiated by the dome of a well heat-soaked KK would make a rotis kind of redundant. [/quote']

yep, i've heard that song b4, but there's alot more going on with the rotis than even heat. you have juices inside that, say, chicken. now, you know that those juices come out as the heat acts on the meat. if you've got a motionless chicken, what happens to those juices? now, picture the same bird being rotated. what happens to those same juices? as they emerge, they are dripping back down over the chicken as it is turning, during the whole cooking process. same thing happens inside the meat; gravity acts on the liquids inside the meat as well as those on the surface.

i'm convinced by this mode of visualization that cooking in a KK on a rotis would produce some great results.

I dunno' date=' seems like the heat being radiated by the dome of a well heat-soaked KK would make a rotis kind of redundant. [/quote']

yep, i've heard that song b4, but there's alot more going on with the rotis than even heat. you have juices inside that, say, chicken. now, you know that those juices come out as the heat acts on the meat. if you've got a motionless chicken, what happens to those juices? now, picture the same bird being rotated. what happens to those same juices? as they emerge, they are dripping back down over the chicken as it is turning, during the whole cooking process. same thing happens inside the meat; gravity acts on the liquids inside the meat as well as those on the surface.

i'm convinced by this mode of visualization that cooking in a KK on a rotis would produce some great results.

Yep, I'm convinced that is a fact. I can't wait to try a butt on there...never really thought about it that way, continuosly basting itself. Maybe I'll do a butt and a chicken. :D

I will say that ceramic cooker cooked chicken is fabulous...but I've always loved rotis chicken EVEN better. Even the cheap ones at the grocery store are incredible to me. So...will rotis married to ceramic make it 10-fold better. I'll let ya know.

I have a guru. I used it on my old K all the time. I've been meaning to order the extra tube so that I can use it with my new KK, but haven't gotten around to it. But so far, all of my cooks have gone extremely well without it, so I haven't had a lot of motivation to order the part. If I ever have to do a really big cook with a fully loaded cooker, I'll probably get it, just to make sure that nothing goes wrong.

I have a Guru. I only use it for long cooks, 29 lb chuck roll, briskets, butts.

I had trouble with my two #7POSKs with the Kansas winds so I brought a Guru. I still use it with my KK just for a good night sleep. :) With the KK easy of temp control a Guru is just for peace of mind. :)