Sesquipedalian

Indirect barrier

I was wondering how it works. I thought I saw quite some time ago a piece that sat inside but did not leave even space all around and that it actually sat up against the flat side of the cooker and left space around the other areas. Is this the way it is. I thought you would want equal space all around for even cooking. What do you do for a barrier for indirect cooking? Do you leave even space all around and how are the results?

Thanks

Indirect

I have the KK round one made by KK. I have used it and find that I did not get things out near edge (such as cooking lots of chicken wings) were not burned while others near the middle were still cooking. In fact I cooked with the upper grill at same time and all the wings came out the same and were perfect. Better than ever on my K9.

I also flip mine. I dont see any difference with which side is "up".

If you have one of the newer ones that are in a stainless liner, I suspect the stainless is intended to be on top so you can get it clean if you want to. I actually took my stone deflector out of the stainless liner*, and use the liner as a smaller SS drip pan.

I just flip the stone each time its used and the side facing the coals always comes out fresh and clean.

* To remove the stone from the liner, just flip it over and give it a good shake. Mine was stuck in one small area, maybe a couple square inches, but i was able to carefully pull them apart.

Firemonkey wrote:

or being stored inside the POSK.

That case it could get wet! hehe

Your right...the inside of the POSK is getting furry :eek:

Ive broken enough pizza stones in my time. I am probably a bit more conscientious than the average bear with my heat deflectors. Funny, the POSK heat deflector is the only part of the POSK package that doesnt have some sort of crack or misalignment! Thats too bad, too; since RJ said the heat deflector he provided with the purchase of the grill caused my cracks! :x

Ive broken enough pizza stones in my time. I am probably a bit more conscientious than the average bear with my heat deflectors.

I use unglazed 12"x12" tiles for heat deflectors or slate if that's unavailable.

they may crack and pop but they're so cheap it's no biggie.

Heck, folded foil across a lower bracket is enough. You just hafta shield from direct flame.

dub(oh and then there are plate sitters)

When I asked him whether it was a heat deflector or pizza stone' date=' Dennis told me that the stainless was to diffuse the heat on the underside of the deflector. He said that there was some history of plain stones getting wet and then cracking when placed over the coals.[/quote']

Oopsie, I'm using the stainless as a drip tray as well not as a deflector-protector :?

No problems yet (and yes I keep it well away from rain..)