Firemonkey

Pot Roast

Since the weather finally cooled off some, and I had the windows open, I was in the mood for a longer cook, to enjoy the smoky aroma on the breeze. I decided a quick pot roast was a good plan, since I didnt want to exert much effort on it :D

No recipe here, there are thousands of pot roast recipes out there all ready. Choose your favorite.

The football game was ready to start, so I skipped the searing of the roast, opting instead to just season the whole thing with salt, pepper, cumin, onion powder, and thyme. I tossed the roast into a disposable aluminum catering pan, and added several garlic cloves and enough liquid (broth and red wine) to come half way up the meat.

I put this on the grill uncovered at about 250 with a couple chunks of hickory and oak, and let is smoke away for about 2.5 hours. Then I added vegetables (onions, carrots, potatoes) to the pan and covered it with the foil lid. (I used the upper grill, and had a deflector on the basket handles)

I bumped the temp up to about 375 and left it on there to roast for another couple hours until it was fork tender. Mighty tasty for a quick and easy meal.

If you have more than the 15 minutes I wanted to invest in preparing this, I would probably try smoking the meat on the grill rack for an hour, to get a good crust going on, then adding it to the pan to finish. It did pick up some good smoke flavor while in the pan uncovered, so dont sweat it if you are in a hurry or feeling lazy. ;)

See, it wasn't imaginary :D The flash washed out some of the color in the potatoes, and the juice evaporated off of the skins before I took the picture, but they were very tender and full of the juice.

dscn2114ax9.jpg