Saucier

Ken Onion / Shun / Kershaw

I am waiting a little while before doing a review here so they can be put through some heavy use, but I just bought the two piece Asian set of Shun Elite knives (pretty good deal on ebay). [ http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=12425 ] Everything on the knife forums was very positive about them. Currently, I have a block set of Calphalon Katana VG-10 steel knives (same steel as the Shun Classics & Ken Onion versions - Rockwell rating of 61) and have been impressed with them. Though the sharpening frequency was still higher than expected with the VG-10 steel. The Shun handles are way better than the Katana handles. So when Kershaw came out with the new SG-2 steel (64-66 Rockwell rating) Shun Elites, I had to give them a try. Also want to mention the curves on the Ken Onion version are nice, but curves are harder to sharpen uniformly than straight blades if you sharpen them yourself (there is a link to a nice sharpening system in the link section - Apex Edge Pro). Another recommendation is to go put the knife in your hand. Had I handled the Shun before the Katana, the Shun would have been in my kitchen to begin with. The first time I saw the Alton's Angles Shun classics, those were at the top of my list. But handling them quickly changed my mind (angle was way to steep away from the cutting surface for my preference). If you have a Williams-Sonoma store nearby, they carry most all the Shun knives (but they are rather expensive compared to other places to purchase). Anyway, some food for thought.

-=Jasen=-

Hmm

Dj, I liked the curves a lot, but I guess the proof will be in using it for a few hours and seeing how it all goes...

I use a Tormek sharpener, I think that has been discussed here too, its a slow speed water bath grinder, with a strop wheel on the other side.

You simply cannot hand hold (or at least I can't) a knife at a precise enough angle to get it REALLY sharp. The curves are compensated for by lifting the handle up & away from the wheel as needed. You can watch the water go over the top of the blade, and tell right where you are taking it down.

I really like the Tormek, although I seem to have 3x more friends now that the word has gotten out that I have a knife sharpener! :)

Re: Hmm

You simply cannot hand hold (or at least I can't) a knife at a precise enough angle to get it REALLY sharp.

Completely agree, that is why I love the Apex Edge Pro sharpener. It has marks for standard angles, but also allows anywhere in between for custom angles. It can also do curved blades, but because of the width of the stone and the amount of curve, determines the amount of aggravation - hehe. So naturally a straight blade is much easier. I also like the fact that I can take my edge to over 6000 grit making it ridiculously sharp and mirror polished.

FYI, love all the Shun series knives and don't think you will go wrong with any of them. Just listed my reasons for the pick I made.

-=Jasen=-

BTW, I also just bought a Ken Onion / Kershaw pocketknife (Blur) with the SG-2 steel ......WOW. I have been abusing it but it will still shave you.

Pocket knife

I have a Ken Onion pocket knife, it says 16600BLK on it, not sure what the name is to it, but I do like the knife a lot. It is kind of a woodland camo color. I caught the poket clip on something once, and bent the clip out. I took some looking to find that super tiny torx head that is in there! Sheesh! But once I pulled the clip, and bent it back, all good as new