leejp

Turkey competition with my wife... (oven vs KK)

For Thanksgiving we'll be feeding 17 people. Instead of going with 1 big bird, we've decided to do 2 ~10# birds. This sets up a bit of a "Turkey Battle" between my wife's traditional oven cook vs my KK cook.

After many successful spatchcock chickens, I've decided to use this method for the Turkey as well. I figure ~2hrs at 375* indirect should do it. I'll wrap the wing tips and legs in foil and use no additional smoke wood (gotta please 17 people so want to keep the smoke flavor mild). We buy the birds pre-brined and I plan to do a simple rub (salt+brown sugar).

Help me win this friendly competition... Any tips/suggestions? I have not spatchcocked anything this big before.

Although this may seem theoretical, I had cooked a turkey and duck last Saturday nite( for a small segment on our local

NBC station that aired Sunday morning),at the same time on the main grill with deflector and drip pan at 350. Both birds, turkey at 14lbs. duck at 5 lbs, cooked for around 4 hours, took turkey out at 160 and the duck was perfectly done at 190.This is just how I did it, haven't actually spatchcocked anything outside of another duck(again apparently theoretically--no pics posted yet). By the way the dripppings made the finest gravy I have ever tasted. Have fun.

Re: Battle Turkey

we know who's gonna win already' date=' just like the tv show! just dont make her cry, jack![/quote']

In anticipation of your triumph, I'd buy her jewelry and have it on hand. Nothing soothes a sore ego more than "Honey, maybe my turkey did turn out really well, but I bought you this." Or similar soothing words (accompanied by sparkles).

We like sparkles. They make us feel very much better. :D You might get to sleep somewhere other than the couch, if you are prepared with a bauble.

Keep in mind... she'll win just about every other category..

She's had the slow cooker going for a day already for the butternut squash soup and is baking the deserts.

I don't pretend that this is a "skills" competition. On the contrary. Is there anything easier than a spatchcocked bird in the KK?

Re: Keep in mind... she'll win just about every other catego

She's had the slow cooker going for a day already for the butternut squash soup and is baking the deserts.

I don't pretend that this is a "skills" competition. On the contrary. Is there anything easier than a spatchcocked bird in the KK?

Um... easier? Well, yah. They sell butternut squash soup in "juicebox" packages at the grocery store. Tastes really good! Made by Pacific Foods. lol. Heat and eat. The roasted pepper and tomato is also very good.

hehehe.

But for baking a buzzard, you're probably right. No stuffing and no basting.

Success!!!

Butterflying the bird was a little tougher than a small chicken... especially the keel bone part but the 10#er came out great. It got done quicker than I thought, about 1-1/2hrs at ~350* As the breast was approaching 160* I simply shut the KK down. Why bother with taking it off, wrapping in towel and putting it in a cooler when I have a cooker that'll keep the meat warm and retain the moisture.

With 20 people, Dinner was buffet style and I carved "off the table" this year using the NY Times article recommendation:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/21/dinin ... ref=dining

Gotta say it was absolutely the best Turkey ever. The carving method showed a nice pink smoke ring on the breast meat. We presented both Turkeys on the same platter and I had no doubt who's was better but only a couple of the guests were brave enough to tender their opinion.

I highly recommend spatchcoking the turkey and carving it "butcher style".

So how DID you deal with the keel bone? Saw?

There was an article on doing a butterflied turkey (referred to as "pollo-style" in Sunset Mag about 10-12 years ago, and their recommendation was to have a butcher cut the spine with his bandsaw, and then cut about halfway through the keel from the underside.

Never found a butcher in these parts willing to try that.

So how DID you deal with the keel bone?

With difficulty... :)

Took a boning knife and cut/scored along the edges, then manhandled it out. It took a bit of work separating it from the flesh.

That was probably the most difficult part of the entire cook. Honestly I can't see doing the bird any other way now. Spatchcock and "Butcher Carve".