cruzmisl

Brands of jerky cures?

Re: Brands of jerky cures?

Hi All,

I normally use Hi-Mountain cures but was wondering if anyone has tried different brands and if they are any good.

Thanks,

Joe

Not sure the brand, but most Walmart's around here carry a standard beef jerky season. No fancy flavors, but pretty good. Though, by the time I had extra black pepper and cayenne to it, taste similar to the Hi Mountain which I love. Gonna be doing a batch this weekend!

-=Jasen=-

I've used Legg's peppered jerky seasoning( A.C. Legg, inc Birmingham, Alabama)for the past 20 years or so, very good results. I've also used Montreal steak seasoning for my clients who are strict Atkins diet people--non sugar--. With each of these I prepare with sodium nitrite(pink salt, or quick cure, or Prague powder) one ounce per 25 lbs in a vacuum tumbler and dry in my smoke house for around 6 to 8 hours at 160/180 degrees. I'm sure you could do the same in the KK if you could somehow keep the heat low enough and the humidity low enough to dry it properly. But the smokiness is a definite taste benefit! You can soak the sliced meat if you don't have a tumbler, I usually use a12 to 20 % water to meat mixture along with the dry mix( for 25lbs meat use 13.5 oz dry mix,1 oz sodium nitrite 25.5 oz water for the tumbler,more for just soaking) tumble for 20 minutes under vacuum or marinate overnight keeping meat submerged.

Place meat strips on a flat screen or hang on hooks and dry with a fan under low heat until the meat becomes tacky, almost dry-- the pellicle--

you can then turn the heat up to 180 max, add smoke, and dry without fan for a few hours or until the meat takes on a dark caramel color and becomes nearly translucent when held of to the light( forgot to say slice the meat in 1/8 to 1/4 thick slices). I also like to spray my screens with Pam, or similar pan release before laying out the strips of meat, and lean meat works best(although the residual fat that may be present is delectable!)

Just guidelines, over 200 is probaly ok, just make sure the meat has formed the pellicle before adding smoke, or your product will not turn out as desired. Even if it's not perfect, the mistakes are usually pretty tasty! I was really suprised at how well the Montreal Seasoning from McCormick's turned out!

Low temps

Thx primeats,

I hope I can keep the temp below 200. Saturday my goal is to do a butt and I would like to keep the temps below 250 for that cook... If I can master that then I will go for the lower temp required for the jerk cook

The secret to low temps is to not to light much coal and close down the top until you can just barely see smoke leaving.. if you have airflow, it won't go out. 175-180 is do-able. Never tried lower..

;);)

Re: Low temps

Thx primeats,

I hope I can keep the temp below 200. Saturday my goal is to do a butt and I would like to keep the temps below 250 for that cook... If I can master that then I will go for the lower temp required for the jerk cook

The secret to low temps is to not to light much coal and close down the top until you can just barely see smoke leaving.. if you have airflow, it won't go out. 175-180 is do-able. Never tried lower..

;);)

Looking to do some jerky in the next few days. I understand what Dennis is saying about keeping the top damper closed for low temps, but isn't that counter-productive to the necessary airflow for drying out the jerky?

Re: Low temps

Looking to do some jerky in the next few days. I understand what Dennis is saying about keeping the top damper closed for low temps, but isn't that counter-productive to the necessary airflow for drying out the jerky?

Increased airflow will increase heat.. the charcoal burns according to available oxygen.

Re: Brands of jerky cures?

Thanks Firemonkey, great idea. Unfortunately, then ECC I have at the moment are solid cubes with no holes to stack them on the wire. I'll figure something else similar out but that looks like a great method.

Dennis, I just meant that with the top damper almost closed you will be getting the temps that you want however you will also be holding in the moisture that you are trying to evaporate from the meat. The tricky part then becomes getting enough airflow to dry the meat while at the same time not raising the temp. I'm looking forward to trying to find that sweet spot!