Firemonkey

Who's cooking for Mom on Mothers Day?

So whats on the menu? I am doing steak and chicken fajitas with guacamole and all the trimmings. And we cant forget plenty of frothy margaritas :D

Im making a huge batch of skirt steak (a whole COV package from BJs), so the family can foodsaver it for the freezer and reheat it when I am out traveling. The meat is marinating right now, but I almost had a scare...I ran out of "standard" tequila while making such a huge batch of marinade. I had to top it off with some of the good stuff!

:eek:

Pics will be forthcoming, depending on how many of the aforementioned margaritas I consume in the meantime 8)

Hey Firemonkey,

Sounds like a “winner dinner†you are cooking up. Fajitas is something I’ve always wanted to make, but haven’t as of yet. I’ll be feeding 13 tonight. We’re doing an extended cocktail hour with more appetizers than usual, as we’ll all sit down to the main course, without any type of first course. Like you, I’m doing margaritas, but tall and on the rocks, versus frothy. White wine with din-din.

Apps will be the following:

Caponata ---a tomato, eggplant, mushroom, garlic, olive and wine mixture that cooks for a couple of hours to almost a jam consistency. It’s chilled and then served with thin slices of baguette.

Salmon and avocado mousse---this is one I’ve never made. 8 oz. smoked salmon, 8 oz. of avocado flesh, 2 tbs. dry sherry, 2 tbs. lemon juice, and pepper to taste. Puree all in a food processor. Place in a serving bowl with thin shreds of smoked salmon on top for garnish.

My last appetizer is a fun way to show off my gas infrared grill. On my “fibrament†pizza stone, I’m going to grill up a 16 inch pizza----cheese, pesto and oil cured olive. I am really looking forward to my forthcoming Komodo, as I know firsthand how awesome pizzas are when cooked in a ceramic cooker. In the meanwhile, my gas grill does an excellent job too.

Entrée:

Chicken quarters, dry rubbed and smoked over hickory and applewood.

Sour Cream Tortilla casserole

Cole Slaw---another recipe I’m making for the first time. 1/2 cup white vinegar, 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar, 1/3 cup white sugar, 1 tsp. salt, 1/3 tsp. celery seed, 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper, 1/2 cup vegetable oil, 8 cups cored and shredded cabbage, half green and half red, 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet onion. Chopped fresh parsley for garnish if desired. Whisk together vinegars, sugar, salt, celery seed, pepper, and oil until combined. Toss cabbage and onion with vinegar mixture. Cover and refrigerate overnight.

Dessert:

Chocolate Toffee Trifle

Coffee/Espresso

Happy mom’s day to all.

Jeff

Pic of the chicken is after dry rubbing this morning, chilling for some hours, and before I put in the smoker.

PqXahXA.jpg

aV2dO0MA.jpg

Rain date

I offered to take Mom out to our favorite sushi spot before or after church (we go on Saturday evening), but she decided to take a rain check. She'd been munching at a baby shower all afternoon.

But, a friend's daughter is getting married, so You Know Who has volunteered to make pulled pork for the engagement party at the end of June. Two butts, two sauces on the side. Raspberry chipotle, and Dennis' Lexington. And a jar of grocery brand in a bowl, for the faint of heart.

I think I'll do them this weekend or next, and freeze them. They'll defrost just fine, and be full of the famed porky goodness for the party. Mother of the bride says woo hoo!! :)

An excuse for me to do butt. Maybe do 3, and bring one in for work guys. Makes them happy. :)

Re:

Salmon and avocado mousse---this is one I’ve never made. 8 oz. smoked salmon, 8 oz. of avocado flesh, 2 tbs. dry sherry, 2 tbs. lemon juice, and pepper to taste. Puree all in a food processor. Place in a serving bowl with thin shreds of smoked salmon on top for garnish.

Happy mom’s day to all.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I ran across your salmon and avocado mousse recipe and it sounds great. I'm getting close to making a batch of smoked salmon and thought I'd ask you how you liked the recipe (since it was new to you).

Thanks!