Sanny

Pulling pork

Three cheers for Gadgetgeek! In his post, here, he said he uses a mallet and plastic bag to pull pork.

Well, I modified that some. Cookie tray covered in plastic, where I was pulling the pork. I used my meat tenderizer! I wrapped it in a plastic bag, and pounded (gently) away. Then I pulled the pieces apart. Saved LOTS of time. YAY!!!

Re: ahem

(pix or didn't happen)

:roll:

Sheesh, Majestic. If anyone had READ my pitiful post on "what's going on the grill this weekend" thread, they would have KNOWN that it was a whole weekend of imaginary cooking. Imaginary ribs (6 racks), imaginary butts (2) and imaginary barky bits. Even an imaginary father!

Someone's Mother has liberated the digital camera.

She didn't abscond with the charging cable, so the battery will run out eventually, and I'll get the camera back. :wink:

Pulling Pork with Mallet!!

Oh my, I cringed reading that post. Saves 30 minutes pulling time!!!

Gadgetgeek with all respect; are you serious? Beating with a hammer saves 30 minutes!!

And breaks it apart long stringy. Sounds like your pork butt could stand rendering a little longer; those strings can also pull apart without much trouble.

I suggest letting the pork butt cook a little longer; then save pulling/beating time by wearing a pair of cheap cotton gloves (for insulation) and a pair of surgical type gloves over the top (keeps the juice out of the cotton gloves), and pull your pork butt in 5 minutes.

Then afterwards with both pair of gloves on, simply wash them as though you're washing your hands. Dry with hand towel, remove both pair keeping them together, and store for next time.

Silicone Mits

Sure worked for me' date=' Johnnyboy! No burned fingers. Instant "pull." :)[/quote']

My friend swears by these Orka Silicone Oven Mitts. Heat resistant to 600 degrees and the finger tips are ribbed (not for pleasure) :eek: which makes quick work of pulling the pork apart, it just grabs the meat apart. I'm gonna get me a pair for this weekend if they still have them at my local Bed Bath and Beyond.

And for the heat resistance, he has a large BGE and he just reaches in wearing these and grabs the food right off of the grill.

I have a pair of red ones, ribbed. Not Orka, but another brand. I reached into the coals and gave them a shake - worked great. And yes, can pull the meat off (wash after poking at coals, and before playing with cooked food).

But unless you're just going to paw at the meat, not much in the way of dexterity.

Light whack with the plastic bag covered tenderizer worked great! :) I'm a convert.

I'm hoping they will keep me from losing arm hair everytime I have to reach into the grill !!!

Oh my, yes! That's why I have them, too!

If they're sitting there next to the grill, I remember to put them on, burp the grill, and open slowly. My eyebrows are also grateful. :D

My point was, Gadgetgeek wrote:

I know I shave off a half hour per pork butt doing it this way

I'm just surprised. My feeling is if it takes more than half hour to pull a butt apart something is wrong. Maybe it's me that's wrong.

Am I just a fast pull-apart-er, or does it take everyone over half an hour per butt?