THE THE CRUST TO GET CRISPY AND BROWN.

I,VE TRIED THE PIZZA STONE ON BOTH

THE UPPER AND MAIN GRILL, TEMP OVER

500 DEGREES THE STONE IS IN THE STAINLESS

HOLDER. LET STONE HEAT FOR ABOUT 25

MINUTES. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

THANKS RICK R

8)

Oh my. Our Whizzy has instructions for EVERYTHING! :)

Nuther set up that someone on here suggested to me, and it has worked well, is a heat deflector from the mfg of your cooker, and then four little piles of washers, then a pizza stone. That keeps the pizza stone from being the deflector from the fire, and allows some air circulation around the pie.

I've used the pizza stone up on the upper grill, in the dome. Seems to let the toppings get finished nicely.

#1) I have never used the stock stone as a pizza stone, only as a heat deflector.

I used a cheapo stone we owned the first time and it worked, but was in multiple pieces the next day when I opened the grill. I ordered a Fibrament and it has been perfect for over a year. It gets used in the indoor oven also.

I use the deflector on the lump basket and the pizza stone on the upper sitting on the main grill (as high in the dome as possible).

Preheat to 500+ for at least 1/2 hour or longer if possible. I usually see 450+ temps on the stone (IR thermometer)

Make sure your lump basket is sitting flat, if the heat deflector is not flat you will get a hot side on your pizza. Check and turn (if necessary) after 3-4 mins. Total time, from 5 to 10 mins depending on lots of factors.

Use parchment paper under your pizza to make foolproof transfers from your peel (or lip-less cookie sheet) to the stone, after 1 or 2 minutes, pull the parchment paper out.

If the stone is not hot enough the top will finish before the bottom.

The big heavy thing with the stainless liner is actually a heat deflector. Sure, it will hold a pizza wonderfully, but it will take a long time for it to come up to any sort of baking temperature.

Your best bet is to do what others have suggested, and get yourself some sort of regular pizza stone. Most are 1/2 inch or so thick. I use the cheap $7 stones and they only break when I do something stupid with them. But for $7 its fine.

There is a learning curve to get your pizza the way you want. If your temp is too high and/or your stone too cold, you might get a done top, and raw crust (what you have now). If you let the pizza stone preheat too long for the type of pizza you are cooking, you get a charred bottom before the top is done.

I like my pizza with a traditional hand tossed crust. About the same thing you would get from Papa Johns. For that thickness of pie, I typically use about 500-525 degrees, with pizza stone on the top rack and a heat deflector below it. I like to use the setup Sanny described, with spacers between the heat deflector and the pizza stone, but I suspect you could put the heat deflector on the lower rack, or even on the basket handles.

Hi,

Three things to try.

1) Cook the crust for a few minutes before putting any toppings on it. Be sure to use a fork to pierce the crust all over to let the moisture escape before you put it in the oven. Pop any large air bubbles that appear during this stage. Don't get the crust too done!

2) If you use pizza sauce, put some of the cheese on the crust before you put the sauce on it (ie--put the sauce on the cheese instead of the crust).

3) Go easy on the toppings--most people (including me) often put too much using the "more is better" theory. That usually makes the pizza soggy.

Good luck!

Zorro